Chicken parmesan also known as chicken parmigiana or chicken parmo is a truly delicious meal and kids absolutely love it. It is particularly nice since it's a baked chicken parmesan, not fried hence healthier you can have it with pasta, mashed potatoes, or topping portobello mushrooms for a lower-carb, protein-packed version.
You will only need a few ingredients for this delicious baked chicken parmesan recipe and this will be ready in no time.
How to make your own tomato sauce?
You will need:
- chicken thighs (approx 7-8 oz each) or chicken breast - skinless
- parmesan cheese finely grated
- bread crumbs or matzo meal
- any good melting cheese (grated)
- homemade tomato sauce (see recipe below) I also use the Marinara sauce for quickness
- garlic - finely grated or made into a paste
- salt - Himalayan or kosher
- black pepper
- lemon juice
Use your own homemade tomato sauce it is the best one when not in a rush.
This homemade tomato sauce is so great to make more of and use for so many dishes. It is great to have some made and at hand for any pizza, pasta, or homemade baked chicken parmesan like this one here. Make it and store it in the fridge for up to two weeks or freezer for up to 3 months.
- 1 larger onion finely chopped ( onion adds to the sweetness of the sauce)
- ½ teaspoon garlic ( minced or grated on the finest grater holes)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 250g ( or approx 13 oz) Passata paste or blended chopped canned or fresh tomatoes
- Salt and black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 pinch of sugar or honey
- fresh basil, oregano, or thyme
How to make the sauce for chicken parmesan?
- Heat oil in a smaller pan or a pot. Shallow fry or sautee the chopped onion for a couple of minutes or so, add and stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute. do not caramelize or burn the garlic or onions. You want them nice, sweet, and fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper, dried herbs, and sugar if you are using them. If you decide on the honey, leave this to add at the end after turning the heat off. Cover ajar the pan or pot with a lid and allow this to simmer for 10- 15 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced slightly. Season more if you feel it is necessary. Add the freshly chopped basil and thyme for extra flavor
What can I serve chicken parmesan with?
Here are some serving suggestions side ideas this delicious baked chicken parmesan dish can be served with:
- Courgette and carrot noodle salad
- Best ever summer courgette salad
- Orzo, halloumi and olive salad
- Quinoa pasta with courgette and pesto sauce
This chicken parmesan can also be served on any pasta like angel hair, spaghetti, linguini or fettuccini, on mashed potatoes (I have made a delicious colcannon - the one in the picture above), over a nice herby couscous, or portobello mushrooms ( picture below) for a lower carbs option.
No worries, any hard mature cheese will do, provolone, pecorino, Romano cheese, Asiago (a saltier version) or Manchego cheese.
Chicken breast is great for this recipe as well as drumsticks as long as it's deboned.
Yes, absolutely and keep refrigerated or even frozen.
Yes, you will need to bake in the oven again for a good 20 minutes so I suggest you do freeze it uncooked and bake for 30 minutes from frozen at 190C or 375F
Other chicken recipes you may like:
- Teriyaki chicken and egg fried recipe
- Chicken with garlic and-polenta
- Teriyaki chicken skewers
- One-pot chicken, chorizo and Nduja bake
- Buffalo chicken bites with spinach and blue cheese
- Spinach and mushrooms stuffed chicken breast
- Creamy Chicken And Mushroom With Polenta
Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- ovenproof dish
- parchment paper
- 4 large chicken thighs (approx 7-8 oz each) or chicken breast (skinless)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- ¾ cup bread crumbs or matzo meal
- 8 tablespoons cheese any melting cheese (grated)
- 1.5 cup tomato sauce I used Marinara sauce
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated
- 1 pinch salt Himalayan or kosher
- ½ teaspoon pepper split
- 2 tablespoons yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Prepare the chicken thighs by de-boning them. Place into a glass bowl and add the yoghurt, lemon juice the garlic ( grated or made into a paste, sprinkle 1 pinch of salt, and one of pepper. Mix this into a sauce and coat the chicken well. Allow 10-15 min (or longer) to marinade.
- Preheat the oven at 200°C or 400°F.
- Combine the parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and a pinch of freshly ground back pepper into a deep plate. Mix all until homogenised.
- Prepare the oven tray or a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the parmesan cheese and breadcrumb mixture. Coat well and generously. Place on the parchment paper. Do the same with the remaining three chicken thighs.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake the chicken for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Carefully remove from oven and spoon over each chicken piece 2-3 tablespoons of the tomato sauce. Add 2 tablespoons grated cheese on top of the tomato sauce on each chicken.
- Return to the oven and bake for an extra 5-7 minutes.
- Serve over pasta, potato mash or a previously baked/cooked portobello mushroom or even rice with remaining tomato sauce.