• You may use oil to drizzle and shallow fry your onions and meat in step 1. I avoid using oil or butter in any recipes that contain meat. I just don’t find it unnecessary, but this is me. It’s not fuss but just a habit that built over the years. I do avoid frying in all my cooking as I haven’t been doing this for over two decades.
• I mentioned Turkish peppers - see this recipe
to visualise those - they are used to grill for BBQs - some can be a little hot too, the darker the spicier they are.
Variations to this soup :
• Since I have the children I feel obliged to add loads of vegetables into my food and cooking in general. If you want reduce the amount of vegetables feel free to cut out some. Just keep it as a leek and potato base, keep the carrot and the peas. Increase the amount of potatoes by adding 2-3 extra potatoes up to 300g.
• The ham hock can be replaced by a good chunk of smoked or unsmoked gammon
(approx 1 lb or 450-500g). I only use smoked if it’s proper smoked rather than containing smoke flavours/additives.
Potato types to use :
Of course this will differ and the names of the potatoes will be different depending where in the world you are.
The mid starchy ones are ideal to use in this soup as you do want to mess around a little with the thickness of the soup. You could even mix the types, some really good to fall appart. A mix of floury and waxy potatoes would be ideal ;-) just to make it a little more complicated. Ha ha!
: Desiree or Coliban types or probably the best would be Kipfler
: Russet floury type vs red potato the waxy type.
: Maris Piper and King Edward are the brilliant ones for baking and mashing, they fall apart easily vs the waxy types such as Charlotte or Anya.
• if the potatoes you have used in your soup did not break slightly I recommend you smash some slightly. The difference is made by what type of potatoes you use. I use those that are best to mash like russet
• if you feel a bit naughty, why not, add a dollop of creme fresh or heavy cream. Mmmm, yummm...
If you made it and really loved this recipe…
Share it with your loved ones, they might like it too! It will only show you care!
Thank you for stopping by and I do hope you’ll check my blog again to see what’s new, all amazing cooking ideas and easy delightful family recipes.
Have a wonderful day!