This cake is simply delicious and extremely simple to make. I always make this whenever I have cheese and yogurts that accumulate in the fridge. I don’t usually like to use the word hate but if there is anything I have to say I hate, it is throwing food away. As much as I try not to overly buy things this sometimes happens, especially dairy (I have to admit at home we all have a real weakness for yoghurts which I make at home and cheese) ;-)). Every now and again I have to come up with a recipe to use those ingredients so I do not need to throw anything away. This is actually my favourite part of cooking when I improvise and create recipes in minutes according to what I see once I open the fridge door. We all do sometimes end up buying more than we need and is necessary, but hey when you end up with one of these cakes…. who minds? ?
Last time I’ve made this was on holiday when my cousin had about 1 kg ricotta cheese which she took out of the fridge, placed it in front of me and said “can you please make something with this before it goes off”….. I was happy to take care of it knowing that we will all love the result ;-))
This cake is literally one of those cakes that any kid or adult that like cheese will love, it is really tasty and you can ‘tailor’ according to your taste and fridge ingredients availability.
It is healthy too and can easily be made gluten free by replacing the semolina with gluten free flour or oats.? ?
Semolina, ricotta cheese and coconut cake
- 500 g ricotta cheese
- 200 g yogurt (natural)
- 1 pack puff pastry ready made (optional)
- 100 g semolina ** or gluten free flour
- 100 g sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 sugar sachets (vanilla)
- 2-3 tbsp coconut (desiccated)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 20 g icing sugar for dusting
- 100-150 ml creme fraiche (for serving)
- Grease or line a 7” (18-20 cm) oven dish. If you choose to use the puff pastry, place this on the greased or lined dish. Set aside. Preheat the oven at 180 C.
- In a large bowl, gather all the other ingredients (cheese, eggs, sugar, salt, vanillated sugar, desiccated coconut, semolina or the gluten free flour, yoghurt) and with an electric mixer mix well until all beautifully homogenized.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared oven dish and place in the oven.
- Bake for 50 min or so , until nice and golden on top.
- When slightly cool, dust with icing sugar and serve with creme fraiche, full fat yoghurt or simply as it comes with a cup of milk or coffee.
The cheese can be any type of creamy cheese including cottage cheese (blend to get rid of the lumps) and as mentioned above this cake can be adjusted to your own liking, the sugar amount (sweeter or less sweet) you could add cinnamon instead of coconut if wish or almond flavor or lemon/orange zest, whatever you like.
You can add some raisins too.
The puff pastry is not necessary so if you do not have it do not worry, this cake can very well do without it.
Please do let me know how you liked this recipe and if you have made any changes, what are they? ?
Enjoy this recipe, it is smashingly simple to make and really, really yummy! ? ? ?