This homemade mayonnaise is the easiest 2-minute recipe. It is paleo and Whole30 and it can be made in any jar or a mug just using an electric hand immersion blender. This mayonnaise recipe is guaranteed to turn out perfect every time. It tastes absolutely amazing and is a lot healthier than any store-bought. How you may ask? Well because it is made with the best wholesome ingredients and no processed and difficult to pronounce ingredients are in there.
I always say that if any products contains ingredients that are difficult to read or pronounce it is also difficult to digest. Mayonnaise it is not considered to be a healthy option but a homemade mayonnaise IS! Just check out the ingredients I am using and you will see.
I remember with nostalgia these days when I was a kid and my mum or my grandmother were mentioning mayonnaise where we all used to disappear. Haha. It was so much hard work! We used to make it all by hand those days and kids were the energy source just great at making mayo. May times I used to not mind it at all but there were days when I could not be asked. I wish immersion blenders were invented those days.
How safe is it to eat raw eggs?
Raw eggs are perfectly safe to consume and are used in many dishes both savoury and desserts, but if for any reason you cannot have raw eggs, there are ways to pasteurise your egg.
How to make homemade mayonnaise?
A simple task that takes no longer than 2 minutes, depending of course on the quantity you want to make but since it’s such a super easy task, I always advise you to make it fresh. Make as much as you need but if you make more than you may need to use or have any leftover, you can keep it in the fridge in a jar air tightened and kept in the fridge for a week. It can be used to make a delicious vinaigrette for another lovely salad. Use a spoon in a nice potato salad. Mmmmm!
What oil can we use to make homemade mayonnaise?
Avocado oil is the base of this recipe and I really love it. Avo oil is by far the best oil to use, it is a wonderfully neutral flavoured oil. I have tried other oils and some were also good but not nearly as good as the avocado oil.
Homemade mayonnaise can be made using almost any oil including coconut oil, walnut oil, olive oil, cold-pressed sunflower oil, canola and so on, depending on personal choice and flavour favourites.
My second choice but a very close call with the avocado oil version is the walnut oil which is also a fantastic choice for making a delicious and healthy homemade mayonnaise. Just give it a go.
What ingredients do I need for a good old homemade mayonnaise:
- avocado oil
- egg yolk (fresh organic)
- mustard (yellow or Dijon)
- cider vinegar (organic)
- salt (sea salt or pink Himalayan)
- black pepper (to taste - optional)- I always add it - you can even see it in the picture
What is the Best Method to make homemade mayonnaise?
My method is very simple. I used to make it by hand (phew a lot of whisking) but since I’ve tried with a hand mixer I can only recommend this. So easy and the chances of going wrong are super slim.
1. Take out any tall glass (mug) with a wide enough bottom to fit a hand blender all the way to touch the bottom.
2. Add the egg yolk (try not to break it) then add the vinegar, the mustard, and salt on top of the egg yolk. No whizzing yet!
3. Pour the avocado oil over. Still no whizzing!
4. Very slowly submerge the blender all the way into the bottom of the jar till touch the bottom and start whizzing at low power and without moving the blender for approximately 20-25 seconds. You will just see the mayo will start turning white.
5. Now, move the blender upwards but not getting it out into the air. Go downwards again into the jar till reached the bottom again. Go up and down a few more times until you have the mayonnaise all formed. This is it, in 3 min you have the mayo. That includes all the preps. 😀 Pretty quick and easy, right?
Can I make egg free mayonnaise?
Just substitute the egg with milk. Any type of milk you wish, like or fancy.
- Oil (use a healthier oil like avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- Milk 9 use a dairy-free like soy milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Turmeric (just for a little colour) optional of course
The rest of the procedure is all the same which is:
- Add all the ingredients into a tall jug, a mug or a jar.
- Use an immersion blender turned on high speed to turn these ingredients into a delicious and super creamy eggless homemade mayonnaise. You will never want to buy your mayonnaise again.
Nutritional value for one serving :
Calories: 86kcal Carbohydrates: 1g Protein: 1g Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 103mg Potassium: 7mg Sugar: 1g Vitamin A: 10IU Calcium: 6mg
How to make vegan homemade mayonnaise
I make two types of vegan mayonnaise.
You can make aquafaba vegan homemade mayonnaise using just 6 ingredients :
- aquafaba (1/4 cup /60ml) – the liquid or the brine leftover from canned chickpeas;
- apple cider vinegar (1 1/2 tsp) - use the organic with mother cider vinegar;
- dates syrup (1tsp) - you can use brown rice or maple syrup;
- mustard powder (1/4 tsp) - liquid mustard may not work as well;
- sea salt (1 pinch) - for extra flavour but any salt will work including smoked salt ;
- avocado oil (3/4 - 1 cup or 180-240ml) which is streamed in while mixing. Sunflower oil has proven to work best, but I prefer avocado oil - maybe you will get a thinner mayonnaise.
Nutrition for each 1 serving consisting of 2-Tbsp:
Calories: 186 Carbohydrates: 1 g Protein: 0.1 g Fat: 20.5 g Saturated Fat: 2 g Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.78 g Monounsaturated Fat: 17.12 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 75 mg Potassium: 1 mg Fiber: 0 g Sugar: 0.5 g
The other type of vegan homemade mayonnaise that I make you will only need 4 ingredients :
- avo oil (1 cup or 220-240 ml)
- olive oil (1-2 tbsp) - only a little for extra flavour
- soy milk - (1/2 cup - 115-120ml) - use unsweetened
- organic cider vinegar ( 2 tsp) - you may add lemon as well (1tsp vinegar and 1 lemon juice) or replace the vinegar with lemon juice all together
- garlic fresh (made into paste) or powder (optional)
- maple syrup (optional)
- 1 pinch of salt
Like the egg mayonnaise add all the ingredients to a jug/mug/bowl and blend all at high speed using an immersion blender to blend it into a nice thick delicious mayonnaise. It is as good as the one you buy taste wise if not better and so much healthier as it only contains just the 5-6 ingredients that you know you put in.
I find that homemade mayo it's such a great way of controlling what you eat and also the amount you make it's the amount you need meaning no waste.
Years ago I was buying a whole jar from store, use a spoonful or two and then throwing the jar away as I was not going to need some for a few months which meant wasting the rest. Since I make my own healthy homemade mayonnaise I am not holding back from using more often in vinaigrettes and sauces. I am not even feeling that guilty for spreading some on bread for a sandwich whenever needed, fancied or required.
See other recipes that may need a little mayonnaise and you may like:
- Potato salad with egg and swede
- Swede raw broccolini and roast chicken salad
- Spicy lamb koftas and salad boats
Healthy Homemade Mayonnaise
- immersion blender
- jar or a jug or a mug
- 200 ml avocado oil (1 cup)
- 1 whole egg yolk (fresh organic)
- 1 tsp mustard or 2 teaspoons depending on how you like it
- 1 tsp cider vinegar use organic with mother
- 1 pinch salt kosher or pink Himalayan
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Take out any tall glass (mug or a jar) with a wide enough bottom to fit a hand blender all the way to touch the bottom.
- Add the egg yolk (try not to break it) then add the vinegar, mustard, and salt on top of the egg yolk. No whizzing yet!
- Pour the avocado oil over. Still no whizzing!
- Very slowly submerge the blender all the way into the bottom of the jar till touch the bottom and start whizzing at med-high power and without moving the blender for approximately 20-25 seconds. You will just see the mayo will start turning white/yellowish.
- Now, move the blender upwards but not getting it out into the air. Go downwards again into the jar till reached the bottom again. Go up and down a few more times until you have the mayonnaise all formed. This is it, in 2 min you have the mayo. That includes all the preps and gathering the ingredients. Pretty quick and easy, right?
my homemade mayonnaise is runny
Try adding some boiling hot water (1 tablespoon) and keep mixing. This should put your mayo in order.
If the hot water wont fix it, simply add one egg yolk into a mug or a clean jar and stream in the thin/ 'broken' mayo while mixing. You will get a nice viscous mayo in no time and since you now have two yolks, feel free to add more oil too if you like but that is not a must. You can add up to 200 ml (one cup) extra oil.
Mine didn't turn out so well. Followed directions completely even adding hot water and it's still runny
That can happen for various reasons. Egg too cold, too much mustard or lemon etc. I flop it sometimes too but I start again and I add the runny one little by little to the successful one so I don’t waste it.
I thought this recipe would be good and it is! It does have a little bitter aftertaste but this is olive oil for you. I did make it with walnut oil and avocado oil and it was perfection. Thanks for suggesting that, I would have never thought to use such oils for mayo (I did not even know walnut oil existed till now) but it is the only mayo I would ever use. I would give it 6 stars if I could, is that good?
Excellent mayo recipe indeed. I never thought of using other oils so I have made it once with peanut butter and another time with walnut oil. Wow! I have definitely learned something new and may mayo will never change now not to say that I will never use store-bought versions any longer. Thanks for this wonderful recipe.
Thank you so much Dodhi. I am so glad that the mayo recipe worked well for you and that I have managed to teach you something new. This is so valuable to me, thank you !!
I wasn't sure about making my own mayo, but after trying this version, it is safe to say that I will not be buying mayonnaise in a shop ever again! It's delicious, quick and easy to make, and the flavour is just soooo much better than any shop-bought!
Thank you so much dear Anna. It is so true, homemade mayo is best and the best part of it is that you know exactly what goes in and can use the best ingredients such as organic/free range eggs, best quality and much healthier oil, and a variety too.
Katie Crenshaw says
I am never eating store bough mayo again! This was so easy and delicious!
yes!! That's a result! Thank you so much, Katie.