This is the salad that most of us grew up with, or almost, it is just with a little twist. It can be a side dish but it can easily be a main too. It can be kept vegetarian but not necessarily.
What I like about it it’s that you can be really adventurous and add ingredients that you really like or simply just have in the fridge.
It’s quick to make and can be a perfect BBQ salad or a garden party.
Last time I made this was yesterday and I we have had it with a beautiful rump steak. To die for! ?? ?
It’s simply delish!
But just let me get into it and tell you all about it.
Potato, cucumber and garlic salad
- 600 g potatoes (organic)
- 1/2 cucumber (organic)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 pepper (red)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- black pepper (freshly ground) to taste
- chives (fresh) or dill or parsley
- 2-3 Spring onions (optional)
- Wash thoroughly and boil the potatoes with 3/4 of the salt. I choose small salad potatoes for my salads and I leave the skin on. Boil them according to bag instruction. The time differs according to their type and size. Generally it shouldn't be longer than 10-12 min. Pierce them with a fork or a toothpick and you would know immediately if they are done as the spike will go through the potato with ease. When they are ready, drain the water and leave aside to cool. You decide if you want or not to leave the skin on and if you don't want skin, you peel them as soon as they are sufficiently cool.
- While the potatoes are cooling, take a large bowl and stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, dill, garlic, salt, and ground black pepper to make the sauce.
- Chop the onions, the red pepper pretty finely then great the cucumbers or chop the cucumbers depending how you wish to have them. With the cucumbers, if they are not organic I would peel the skin off. Add all those to the yogurt mixture.
- When the potatoes are cool, cut them into halves or chunks (depending on their size) and add them to the yogurt mixture. Stir until all nicely coated.
- Season to taste, sprinkle some more herbs on top along with that pinch of cayenne pepper for a nice kick and serve.