This versatile sour cream sauce is a slightly tangy and creamy sauce that can be used as a topping or dip for a wide variety of dishes like pasta, chicken, salmon, enchiladas, or drizzled on some nicely baked vegetables. No cooking is involved.
The texture of this creamy sauce can be thick or thin, depending on the desired consistency and what is served with.
This was inspired by my Creamy Cucumber, Fennel & Yogurt Dip, and pairs well with this Delicious Egg Chicken Roll Recipe or these Feta And Ricotta Cheese With Spinach And Dill Filo Wraps.
The sour cream sauce is a staple in many cuisines and can bring a new level of flavor and creaminess to any dish.
The homemade sauce made from scratch is definitely the best way to go with this versatile sauce. It can be made by adding your favorite spices and used in a wide variety of recipes.
It can be that secret weapon for that perfect dish. So, the next time you're whipping up your favorite dish, don't forget the sour cream sauce 😉!
There are many ways to make the sour cream sauce but I thought I’d pick the easiest: throw in a few spices, scallions/spring onion, salt, and mix. There’s no need to make a roux on the stovetop- this recipe involves no cooking, is fast, super easy, and used as a dip or a drizzle.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- sour cream
- cayenne pepper
- homemade mayonnaise
- lemon juice
- red chili
- scallion/spring onion/green onion
See the recipe card below for the exact quantities.
👩🏻🍳 How to make sour cream sauce
It is typically made by combining sour cream with other ingredients such as herbs, spices, and citrus juices to enhance its flavor. Here's my version.
Place all the required/listed ingredients in a bowl and mix them well until incorporated.
Once mixed, place in a serving dish and serve as a dip or drizzled over your favorite dish.
Use some milk to thinner this sour cream sauce. Add just sufficient milk to bring the sauce to a pourable consistency. The exact quantity will depend on the sour cream brand, as some are thicker than others, but also what you’re using the sauce for. Use any milk you with, full fat or the semi-skimmed version.
- Use fresh or dried chives as a sub for scallions. I often use chives since I have this growing right outside my patio door. Dried chives are a great option if a fresh one is not an option. It doesn’t taste as good as fresh and the flavor isn't the same but it works.
- Substitute the dairy products for plant-based ones for a vegan sour cream sauce version.
- Add red peppers instead of chili for color but no kick especially if served for kids.
- Add different herbs fresh or dried depending on what you will be serving it with such as:
- dill - for fish
- oregano or basil - for a pasta dish
- parsley - for grilled meat
- sumac (aubergine or vegetables)
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes
- Make it a pourable sauce - add a little milk, single cream, or heavy cream
- Deluxe - add caramelized onion or garlic for an exquisite flavor
- Kid-friendly - add some ketchup and add no spicy ingredients - perfect to dip the crisps or chips as well as chicken nuggets 😉.
- Make it a Crema Sauce (Mexican sour cream sauce) by just adding some lime juice and cilantro/coriander - perfect for tacos.
- Chipotle Crema Sauce: Add 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo and a tablespoon of adobo sauce for a spicy chipotle version.
Store it in an airtight container or a jar and store it in the refrigerator, preferably in the coldest area which is the back of the bottom shelf.
🍽 How to use sour cream sauce
- Drizzle it over or dip these crispy baked potatoes, tacos, and burgers
- Use a good drizzle in recipes like these Easy BBQ Chicken Kebabs or these Beetroot And Halloumi Cheeseburgers On Flatbread.
- Drizzled over this Baked Aubergine With Cumin And Yoghurt Sauce
- Add a good dollop over these Cabbage Rolls ‘Sarmale’ Stuffed With Ground Beef, Veggies And Rice
Mexican cuisine is known for its bold flavors and vibrant colors and one ingredient that enhances the flavor and texture of many dishes is this slightly tangy and creamy sour cream sauce.
Whether you're making tacos, enchiladas, or burritos, sour cream sauce is the key to taking your Mexican food to the next level.
If you don't plan on using the sauce within a few weeks, you can certainly place it in the freezer. I will expand a little so, when you transfer the cream sauce to a freezer-safe container, make sure to leave a bit of room at the top. Don't forget to label it with the date so you know when it was put in the freezer.
⏲️ Other quick recipes you may wish to try
Looking for other quick recipes like this? Try these:
📖 More recipes to serve this sour cream with
These are my favorite dishes to serve with this recipe:
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page if you have made this recipe and liked it. Thanks for stopping by!
🥣 Sour Cream Sauce (ready in 10 min)
- 1 spatula
- 1 glass bowl
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt pink Himalayan
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small red chili deveined and deseeded
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise I use Healthy Homemade Mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 small scallions/spring onion/green onion
- 2-3 tablespoons milk optional
- Squeeze 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Peel the garlic, grate, or crush it, and finely chop it.
- Deseed and devein the chili - chop finely.
- Wash and finely chop the scallion/spring onion.
- Take a big enough bowl, add all the ingredients in (in no particular order) mix well until incorporated. Add some milk if you wish the sauce to be runnier.
- Transfer into a serving bowl or dish and serve as desired.
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
Why didn't I think of making sour cream sauce before? We love sour cream and this was even more delicious. It works so well as a dipping sauce for anything and everything!
It really does indeed, thank you Sandhya!
I plan on using this sauce for my baked potatoes. Out of all the sauces I came across, this is the only one that appealed to me since it didn't use hard to find ingredients. I really appreciate you sharing this recipe! Thank you!
Simple is always best, thank you dear Natalia.
Enriqueta E Lemoine says
Ramona, it's always such a joy to explore your blog. I made this sour cream, and it's not only delicious and flavorful, the best part is that it's so easy to make. You nailed it!
Thank you so much dear Enriqueta. You are so kind!
Katie Crenshaw says
I made this to jazz up our baked potatoes. It turned out delicious! It was super easy. This was definitely a winner.
Thanks so much, Katie!!
I love this sauce and it is great on potatoes! I also like to dip crackers in it.
Carrie Robinson says
Ooooooo... what a fantastic idea! I never would have thought to make a sauce like this. 🙂 And I can think of so many uses for it too.
Tried this recipe with my hushpuppies I made and it was so good, now I will try it with fresh vegetables and salad topping!
I love this sour cream sauce. It was a perfect addition to my boxty recipe. I will be making this again soon.
I always have sour cream in the fridge. This sauce is perfect to use in so many delicious ways. Great topping for baked potatoes.
It is a great sauce indeed, thank you dear Gloria.