This recipe does not involve any cooking at all. As a general thing and attitude towards what I engorge I generally do like preparing/cooking everything I can from scratch because I know I have full control over what goes on my plate and in my stomach.
What you will find, and I am pretty sure you are aware of this, is that even when you buy a simple snack like this that may look like just a simple yoghurt dip has a lot of additives amongst ingredients so it’s always safer to make your own. It gets even more promising since this only takes minutes to prepare.
It’s only a matter of having the ingredients or most of the ingredients since you can always change things acording to your liking and different ingredients can be added. You could try different tastes like, celery, celeriac, onion, red onion, pepper (any colur), herbs etc., that you may think it will go well with this. I shall now leave this entirely to your imagination hence my love for freestyle cooking. It can be made interesting and although you may be cooking the same dish over and over again, each time will be different. How cool is that!! ;))
I love to share this side dish/snack with you and want you to try it as it is very refreshing and super light as well as a very easy one to make; keep in the fridge and eat whenever you fancy.
When it comes to choosing your yogurt, of course you can use any type you like but I never reccommend the fat free one as firstly, is way too runny and secondly, again, most have a lot more additives that you can imagine and stuff that we could do without ;-)). I avoid buying any fat free products as those are not the best option to help us stay healthy. Oh yes, they don’t contain fat but they have other unnecessary ingredients that can be a lot less healthier than the fat itself. My policy is that it is better to eat less but of a much better quality (best option wholefoods) rather than a lot of poorer quality with millions of additives, approach that I am sure many people share.
Creamy cucumber, fennel & yogurt dip
- 600 g yogurt ( full fat) organic
- 1 medium cucumber organic
- 1/2 bulb fennel
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic (optional) finely grated
- 10 springs fresh dill
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Wash a cucumber and peel. Cut it in half lengthwise and with the help of a spoon or a teaspoon scope out the middle section of it, the one with the seeds that is pretty juicy/watery.
- In a bowl, grate coarsely the cucumber. Squeeze out the water by taking the cucumber in your hands and squeeze any water out; 💪 🏼this will help with not making the yoghurt any runnier.
- In a separate bowl put the yoghurt with a pinch of salt a bit of pepper/cayenne pepper and add the cucumber, the fennel which should also be grated, the fennel seeds, the garlic and the dill.
- Mix altogether and keep it in the fridge. It can be served immediately or whenever you like as it can last for at least a day or two in the fridge It's a lovely and really refreshing snack.