Oh, these super cute, mini pancakes cereal make a superb, versatile and totally fun breakfast. You can serve them however you desire. They are slightly crispy on the outside and so nice and soft inside their little hearts ;-).
Haha. If I am to thank anyone for this it's definitely the pancake cereal Tik Tok - I mean, I have made mini pancakes before and this Dutch mini pancakes recipe is a regular here but I have not made them this minuscular! These are trendy pancakes, they are tiny and cute, they are delicious, they're so much fun to make and kids in particular LOVE making them. Get them involved!
My 13-year-old daughter really enjoyed helping mummy or, err...maybe it was actually the other way around. She was so hands-on and did not leave the pan until the very last mini pancake cereal and that was soo small! 😉 Very dedicated indeed!
We started with two pans but it soon became obvious there was no point. We did not carry on for long because the little cuties cook super fast thus, by the time we dropped the last 'dot' in the pan it was time to turn the first ones over. It is fast.
These mini pancakes are surely very little, yes they are meticulous to make and absolutely, they are super cute. The only issue is that they do get eaten up in a jiffy.
Mini pancakes cereal take seconds to cook - a few seconds one side and then a few more seconds for the other side and ta-da! Before you realise a big bowl of these cute things has filled up with little dots 😉
what are mini pancakes cereal?
Well, a place in heaven, this is exactly what they are. And if you have not heard of the pancake cereal trend, here I am to tell you all about it.
They are cute, delicious and pretty unique! They are tiny crispy and fluffy heavenly miniature-sized pancakes that you best enjoy serving in a cereal bowl as if your cereal it's just ready to be served. Surely, mini pancakes cereal are better! Yes, because they are pancakes, of course, they are.
The beauty of these is that they can be served with milk, coconut milk, yoghurt (for that cereal experience) or simply as they are... they are divine! Just make them and your family will love you forever!
If you will have them with milk you will need to be quick to have them as they can and they will get a little soggy, of course, they do. Told you they are little, but they have big absorbant hearts.
How quick can I make these cute pancakes cereal?
Fairly quick! Depending on the quantity you are making. Generally talking, for one or 10 people you could whip them up in less than 5 minutes, seriously! It is the cooking what takes more time depending on the number of portions you are making.
What toppings can I use?
These are cool for breakfast, for brunch, or a cute dessert. Imagine these served with a scoop of ice cream and some lashings chocolate sauce. Wow, I am drooling! Realistically, whatever toppings you choose to use, whether it is fruits, maple syrup, chocolate chips, or honey… you can NEVER go wrong!
What is the best pancake mix?
For this mini pancakes cereal recipe, you can use this reader favourite recipe mix or your very own pancake mix. Even a store-bought mix would work if you cannot really be bothered but I am saying this again - the batter mix it's the easiest bit in here. The rest's all about patience. Personally, I think and recommend this fresh homemade recipe to get the best outcome!
My recipe asks for basic ingredients like all-purpose flour, butter, milk, an egg, vanilla extract, sugar and pinch of salt. Done!
In the event, your batter turns out a little too thick, make sure to thin it out with just a tablespoon or two of milk. This can happen as flour sometimes differs from brand to brand.
how to make or shape mini pancakes cereal?
- I used a baster to make them, don't ask me why! It was the first thing to come to my mind when I thought of a tool to use, it made it all very easy to make them;
- Another easy way to make mini pancakes is by using one of these squeeze bottles like ketchup, mustard or sweet chilli sauce. Make sure they are clean and I recommend washing them with hot water several times to sterilise them but also air them very well to get rid of any smell/taste. It is good to just keep one as a tool for such things.
- A ziplock bag is also a good idea - you just need to do a tiny snip on a bottom corner at a slight angle
- A piping bag is also a good one;
- But if you don't have any of these or cannot be bothered, use a teaspoon, that can work pretty well too especially when you are in a rush.
These are very easy to make, once you have made the batter, let it rest for 10 minutes, get a nonstick pan out and place over medium to high heat.
Depending on which method you will be using to pipe these into the pan but using a baste, just like I did, lightly squeeze the batter out onto your lightly greased pan. Just make sure they are placed at a distance so that they’re not touching one another. To get a perfectly round shape, keep the nozzle in the middle of each mini pancake while squeezing the batter out. You will become an expert by the end of this and want to make more ;-).
They need cooking until they start to get bubbles on top. Adjust the heat - if they are cooking too quickly, reduce the heat slightly if they are slow, up the heat.
If you want them soft rather than slightly crispy, you can cover the pan while cooking.
can i make VEGAN MINI pancakes cereal ?
Yes, of course! Use almond or coconut milk and no eggs.
Can I freeze mini pancakes cereal?
Absolutely! They do freeze very well and can be reheated either in a pan or in a preheated oven (at 180C/350F) for no longer than 7 minutes.
Can i make mini pancakes cereal gluten free?
Easily! Simply swap the all purpose flour for gluten free one. I sometimes make my pancake batter using oats flour. Just make sure no contamination occurs when making your own.
Here are some more pancake recipes you may like:
Mini Pancakes Cereal
- 150 g flour (5.3oz) all purpose
- 1 large egg
- 35 g sugar (1.25oz)
- 180 ml milk (6.10 fl oz)
- 3 tbsp butter coconut oil or just oil plus a little extra to grease the pan
- 1/3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt I used pink Himalayan
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Place the flour into a bowl, make a well and add the baking powder, soda bicarbonate, lemon juice, sugar, salt vanilla essence. Mix until combined.
- Melt the butter but do not overheat and add to the flour mixture.
- Bring in the slightly beaten egg, and mix this using a wire whisker. Gradually add the milk while mixing. It should be a thick batter which will increasingly get thinner as you add the milk. I do it this way to avoid any lump formation. Add a little more milk if necessary. Allow to rest for 10-15 min.
- Take a nonstick pan out and heat over medium heat. Lightly grease (using a brush or a tissue) with a little butter, coconut oil or cooking oil.
- I have used a baster to make them but if you use a squeezable bottle or a zip bag, pour pancake batter into the bottle or the zip bag. If using a zip bag you will need to cut a tiny hole in the bottom corner of the bag to pipe out the batter.
- Once the pan is hot, start squeezing little dots of batter with a little space between them. Cook the mini pancakes until l the tops form tiny bubbles and look dry. Flip them with a spatula and cook on the other side for 30-40 seconds or until golden brown. Repeat with the remainder of the batter. You may need to lightly grease your pan every now and then.
- Serve hot or cold in milk or with a topping of your choice. See serving suggestions and of course, ENJOY!