Ever wonder how to make chicken kebabs? It's not as hard as you may think! You can get creative with the ingredients and especially with the spices, or just stick to a classic combination. Let me tell you and show you all about it.
Now with the BBQ season getting in full swing, a dish like this is simply heavenly. So easy to prepare and the results are A-MA-ZING! These chicken kebabs are marinated in a tangy mixture of lemon, yogurt, spices and garlic are such a huge crowd-pleaser.
This particular kebabs easy recipe is loved by my family and my kids, in particular, they always crave for it and if I am honest, I do too! I do like using organic chicken which I think it is the best to get for dishes like this. The chicken marinade that you were looking for for a very long time!
Oh, these chicken dishes! Cannot get any better. Who said chicken is boring??!! Never! Just try this easy chicken kebab recipe and you will see what I mean. Dinner or lunch, next day lunch whether that's a school or a work packed lunch, just go for it, it is the perfect choice!
Tips for the best chicken kebabs
- use chicken thighs - they are a lot more delicious and do not get dry
- marinade a lot earlier for the best results (best ever, healthy and easiest dinner meal)
- do not forget to squeeze some lemon juice to make it super tender
Marinade variation to use for chicken kebabs
Here are some ideas for a fantastic marinade for chicken thighs:
- Indian spices (make a chicken tikka)
- chilli sauce ( use lime and sriracha)
- spring onions (paste with a mortar and pestle)
- olive oil, garlic and lemon juice - simple but with gorgeous flavours
- lemongrass, garlic and teriyaki sauce ( amazing!)
- chicken satay (coconut milk, soy sauce, yellow curry, turmeric powder, garlic, ginger, honey)
what to serve with chicken kebabs?
I could list so many things and dishes here that you could enjoy with this beautiful and super tasty chicken dish and here are a few ideas:
• Coconut, fried or Morrocan Style or this Truffle and Lentil Rice
• Cucumber Yogurt Dip
• Corn on the Cob - grilled, BBQed or baked
• Green Salad
• Potato Salad - any of these will do beautifully
• Sweet Potatoes that are simply grilled or baked
• Tomato, cucumber and Feta Cheese Salad
• Any salad check these out for more ideas
How long does it take to cook kebabs?
• It does not take long at all, it will take approximately 10-15 minutes. Be sure that all the sides of kebabs touch the grill - this will not only ensure done-ness, but also gives the chicken a nice looking crisp exterior.
• As a general rule, most kebabs will need approximately 10-15 minutes to cook, which means anything between 2.5 to 3.75 minutes for each 4 side, depending of course on the fire and how big or small the meat chunks are.
Other BBQ worthy recipes you may love:
- Exotic barbequed prawns
- Delicious lamb burger
- Healthy potato-salad - a great side dish to these chicken kebabs
- Oh, this fish made on the grill - to die for!
- More BBQ dinners on the grill - mmm! Absolutely delish from Delish
Easy BBQ Chicken Kebabs
- glass bowl
- chopping board
- BBQ or grill
- 600 g chicken thighs (2.5 cups) cut into chunks
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
For The Marinade
- 100 g yoghurt (3.5 oz)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch chilli powder optional
- 1 teaspoon lemon and lime zest
- 1 teaspoon ginger freshly grated
To Make The Marinade
- Mix all marinade ingredients (yoghurt, salt, pepper, lemon juice and zest, grated ginger, grated garlic, chilli powder or flakes if you choose to use them) into a larger glass bowl. Mix well.
- Cut the meat into chunks. I always debone the thighs first and then cut them into 3 to 5 pieces depending on the size of the thigh. Add to the marinade.
- Mix the meat pieces really well and coat them with the marinade sauce.
- Place a cling film over the bowl and place this in the fridge or into a cool place. Allow to marinate for at least 20-30 minutes - the longer the better.
- Heat up a grill or prepare the BBQ. Meanwhile, thread all meat chunks onto the metallic skewers. Do not push them into one another too closely. Allow them to have a little space so they can cook nicely without drying out.
- Turn every 3-4 minutes on a different side so that they cook beautifully on all sides.
- Serve with any salad or a nice couscous and vegetables like this one in this recipe which was simply made by mixing separately cooked couscous with roasted mixed vegetables to which I have added some spices like cajun, turmeric and a little curry powder seasoned with salt and pepper.