I find it so hard to believe that until today I have not managed to put this recipe up, it is my favourite soup by far! It is now here, yayy! Creamy mushroom soup tops the list of not only my favourite soup but also my favourite dish.
The second favourite soup has to be my lamb soup (yet another recipe that I have not manage to put up yet – I will only blame the time) followed very closely by the meatball soup or the soured beef broth – I really cannot make up my mind so I’ll just put the four in top three ?
Nothing can really compare with a nice Homemade mushroom soup in my opinion and I’m sure all the mushroom lovers out there totally agree with me on this.
Years back, I used to buy the canned cream of mushroom soup and I have to say I loved it, I loved it for so many years until one day when I decided to look at the ingredients and there were quite a few E numbers listed and that really put me off. I had to start making my own. I never looked back since and will most likely never buy a cream of mushroom can ever again.
This homemade soup tastes what the real creamy mushroom soup should taste like, the fresh ingredients and herbs just give this soup such a sublime flavour depth. It is also so, so easy to make, it literally takes minutes of preparation and a few more minutes of cooking away on its own there not bothering anyone ;-).
How I make The creamy mushroom soup ?
Prepare all ingredients in advance, wash, chop and set aside, follow the instructions below and serve with your favourite bread! Enjoy this deliciousness!
Other ingredients to add to or play around with in this soup …
- white wine
- corn flour
- beef stock
- different herbs ( dill or lovage)
- chilli flakes
Making this mushroom soup without cream?
Oh , yes absolutely possible. Leave the cream out if you like, you can substitute the heavy cream with full fat (4% fat) milk or semi skimmed milk (2% fat). If doing this just try not to bring it to a rapid boil as the milk may curdle. Lower the heat andgo for a gentle simmer over for a minute or two until it gets to simmering point, then you can slightly increase the heat.
Dairy free option?
For a dairy free creamy mushroom soup option, you can leave out the cream or milk all together and add some corn flour, a spoon or two of flour or 2-3 medium size potatoes.
I do add other vegetables too to add more nutritional value to it but not too many to deter the mushroom flavour which I can never compromise on, under no circumstances.
We have this soup every time with some beautiful home-made bread, oh, it is such a treat! A true delight with all the flavours and textures, oh la la!
Let’s just give it a go now, shall we and you’ll see how I was telling the truth when I said it will be ready in a jiffy ?. Ready?! Let’s start cooking!
Creamy Mushroom Soup With Turmeric And Thyme
- chopping board
- hand electric blender
- 600 g mushrooms I used organic chestnut *
- 600 ml vegetable stock or chicken stock *
- 1 carrot large
- 2 onions
- 1/2 leek medium
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter or oil
- 200 ml milk
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp fresh Thyme *
- 2 tbsp Crème fraîche or heavy cream
- 1 pinch Salt*
- 1 pinch freshly ground black Pepper
- 1-2 cloves garlic optional I recommend adding
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp long pepper to sprinkle at the end
- In a pan melt the butter over medium heat and sauté the onions with the garlic (if adding any) for about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot, leek, chopped or sliced mushrooms (optionally, leave a handful to pan fry for decoration), the Worcestershire, the soy sauce, a pinch of salt*, freshly ground pepper and the turmeric and sauté for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, the milk and when it starts boiling, reduce slightly the heat, cover and allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to minimum and using a hand electric blender, blend and cream the soup to desired texture. Allow to simmer for a further 2-3 min.
- Add the crème fraîche, a squeeze of lemon, mix all well and turn the heat off.
- Ladle the soup out into bowls, garnish and decorate with a sprinkle of long pepper powder or a good generous pinch of freshly ground black pepper, some fresh thyme sprigs, parsley and some pan fried sliced mushrooms and serve immediately while nice and hot with some nice homemade bread or garlic bread. Delicious!
- White button mushrooms
- Oyster mushrooms (my top favourite)
- Porcinni (frsh or dry ones)
- Morel mushrooms ( especially when going back home)
- Agaric honey fungus or armillaria mellea ( found in local forests and enjoyed going picking as a child) – we call them ghebe only available mid September and the whole of October, so very short season.
Did you make this yummy creamy mushroom soup with turmeric and thyme?
Please do let me know how you liked this recipe, did you give it any twist by using different ingredients, what were these and how did it all turn out for you?
If you liked it, made it or just simply got inspired, please leave a comment below or why not share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #ramonascuisine.
I would really love to see your creation! Please do like us on Facebook too!
If you like the recipe Pin it or … Share it with your loved ones, think they might like it too.
It will only show you care! Thank you for stopping by and I do hope you’ll check my blog again super soon to see what’s new, all amazing cooking ideas and easy delightful family recipes. Have a wonderful day!