Such a simple and easy this nettle and chickpeas salad is to prepare and get ready for a great side dish but even a meal on its own.
I don’t really have to mention it, you know it as much as I do but this is such a heavenly healthy and delicious salad!
Protein, vitamins, iron, antioxidants … You just think of it and it is all in this salad.
This is definitely my all day, everyday kinda’ salad!!
Please do me a favour and have it with some simple salt and pepper pan-cooked lamb chops or with these homemade lamb burgers, oh those cooked to perfection ones. Of course, some fresh mint would fit here perfectly! Heaven on earth!
* If using dry chickpeas, rinse those and soak in water- preferably the night before. If you remember to change the water at least once. Cook as per package instructions.
* I use my pressure cooker so none of this is necessary and most of the time I have canned ones for quickness.
* Zaatar powder is a Middle Eastern spice mix which contains sumac, thyme, roasted sesame seeds, marjoram, oregano and coarse sea salt.
I really enjoy Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Asian and all the exotic seeds and spices in general. What could be better than having something as simple and pretty fast to prepare the dish, super tasty and so healthy at the same time!
Nettle & chickpeas salad
- 450 g chickpeas * (see recipe notes) (organic) canned or dry
- 250 g green beans (organic)
- 2-3 tbsp nettles (organic,dry)
- 1 large aubergine (organic)
- 1 large courgette (organic)
- 1 tbp coconut oil organic
- 1 tsp zaatar powder *
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder organic
- 5 leaves fresh mint (optional)
- 1/2 lemon or lime (its zest and juice)
- 1-2 clove(s) garlic
- Pink Himalayan salt
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Rinse the chickpeas and allow to drain properly.
- Slice the aubergines into medium slices, slightly salt on both sides and set aside.
- In a large deep nonstick frying pan or a shallower cooking pot put a tiny amount of coconut oil (1/2 tbsp). Place the courgette cut into small slices and the snapped green beans. Cook on medium fire for about 10-15 min till the courgettes get slightly soft and brown, tossing occasionally.
- When cooked sprinkle some salt, freshly ground black pepper, the crushed and chopped garlic, turmeric powder, the zaatar powder, fennel seeds. Add the chickpeas and the dry nettles. Toss and cook for an extra 3-4 minutes. When finished, place in a large bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, pat dry the aubergines with a paper or kitchen towel to wipe all the released juice or simply squeeze them in your hands. In a separate pan or the same pot/frying pan after used to cook the beans and the courgette, add 1/2 tbsp coconut oil.Cook the aubergines on both sides on medium fire. Do not add salt as they have absorbed most of the sprinkled salt already. When all cooked add to the chickpeas and give a good old toss.
- Zest and juice half a lemon, add the zest and sprinkle the juice all over the salad! Enjoy it, it is so delicious.