I baked this Peach ’n’ berries cake for a long car trip. I always like to take something nice and freshly baked whenever we hit the road somewhere and I can easily say we like to travel by car quite a bit lately.
Because there is a lot of sitting I thrive to always make something that is light and healthier and not too sweet or too buttery ☺️. Yes, there is a little butter there but realistically it comes to an infim amount per person of 10g which realistically is the amount of butter you use on one-two slices of toast ;-))).
It’s always nice to snack on something that is miles healthier than anything you’d buy in a shop, something homemade where you know exactly what you have put in and contains no unrecognisable Es but only the well knownE500 which is the E code for the soda bicarbonate ;-).
I’m just going to get started with this beautifully light and packed with antioxidants yummy cake.
Peach 'n' berries healthy cake
- 150 g oat bran (organic)
- 100 g spelt flour (organic)
- 100 g blueberries (organic) fresh or frozen
- 180 g yogurt (organic)
- 90 g cane sugar (organic)
- 80 g ricotta cheese (organic)
- 80 g unsalted butter (organic), at room temperature, or melted
- 70 g flour (organic)
- 3 medium eggs (organic)
- 2 peaches fresh
- 1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar (organic)
- 1 pinch himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp chia seeds or poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven at 180 C and grease an oven dish (25-28cm).
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients (flours, oat bran, salt, baking powder, chia/poppy seeds and the soda bicarbonate which was mixed with the vinegar).
- With the help of a mixer mix the butter with the sugar and the eggs for 2-3 minutes. Add the ricotta cheese, the yogurt and mix well for another minute until it is all nicely incorporated.
- Fold the flour mixture into the eggs mixture until it is all nicely mixed up. It should be like a soft dough and not a runny one. Put the berries in and mix.
- Slice the peaches, and put aside for a minute.
- Put the dough into the greased oven dish and spread evenly. Arrange the peach slices on top of the dough flesh down skin up.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 min till nice n' golden.