This stuffed aubergines or eggplant dish may sound a little complicated but it is really easy to put together. It is yummy, super healthy and carbs-free.
I like eating it with a nice fresh and crisp salad or my feta cheese salad recipe (try it!).
Velvety stuffed aubergines
- ovenproof dish
- chopping board
- 3 medium aubergines (organic)
- 300 g mince meat low fat
- 400 g tomato passata (organic)
- 100 g cheddar cheese (optional) grated
- 1/2 small carrot (organic)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (organic)
- 1 onion (organic)
- 1/2 leek (organic)
- 1 egg (organic)
- Preheat the oven at 180 C (fan assisted) 200 C gas mark 5.
- Wash the aubergines and cut lengthwise. Scoop out some of its flesh with the help of a spoon leaving an edge of 1/2 cm all around. Sprinkle some salt inside the aubergine and put aside for few minutes. Repeat this with all aubergines.
- Put the flesh as it is in a bowl and sprinkle salt on. Put aside for a while.
- Chop the onion and the leek finely and sweat it for 5 min with a sprinkle of salt.
- In a bowl, put the mince meat the egg, a pinch salt (not too much as the aubergine flesh as well as aubergines and onions have some already) pepper, curry powder, finely grated carrot. Mix well.
- Squeeze the aubergine flesh of any juices and chop finely. Add to the meat mix.
- Turn the aubergine halves face down for 2 min so all juices inside.
- Add the onion and the leek to meat mixture and mix well.
- Stuff the aubergines, pour over the top some tomato juice and place in the preheated oven. You can sprinkle a generous amount of grated cheese over it.