This stuffed aubergines or eggplant dish may sound a little complicated but it is really easy to put together. It is yummy, super healthy and has low carbs too.
I like eating it with a nice fresh and crisp salad or my feta cheese salad recipe (try it!).
Velvety stuffed aubergines
- 3 medium aubergines (organic)
- 300 g ground beef (10.58 oz) low fat
- 400 g tomato passata (13.53 floz) (organic)
- 100 g cheddar cheese (3.53 oz) (optional) grated
- 1/2 small carrot (organic)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (organic)
- 1 medium onion (organic)
- 1/2 medium leek (organic)
- 1 medium egg (organic)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- Preheat the oven at 180°C (fan assisted) 200°C gas mark 5.
- Wash the aubergines and cut lengthwise. Scoop out some of its flesh with the help of a spoon leaving an edge of 1/2 cm all around. Sprinkle some salt inside the aubergine and put it aside for few minutes. Repeat this with all aubergines.
- Put the flesh as it is in a bowl and sprinkle salt on it. Put aside for a while.
- Chop the onion and the leek finely and sweat it for 5 min with a sprinkle of salt.
- In a bowl, put the ground beef on the egg, a pinch of salt (not too much as the aubergine flesh as well as aubergines and onions have some already) pepper, curry powder, finely grated carrot. Mix well.
- Squeeze the aubergine flesh of any juices and chop finely. Add to the meat mix.
- Turn the aubergine halves face down for 2 min so all juices inside.
- Add the onion and the leek to the meat mixture and mix well.
- Stuff the aubergines and pour some tomato juice over the top of it. Place in the preheated oven. You can sprinkle a generous amount of grated cheese over it.