I came to the realization that I have not posted a cake for quite some time now. It was about time! But this apple, carrot, and zucchini or courgette cake with ginger and turmeric....?!?! oh boy, it is a cake that reaches a totally different level. Have you thought about having a cake and taking your 5 a day? This cake gives you just that so it has to be the ultimate cake.
It is soo flavourful, nice and moist on the inside and crisp on the outside. To me, it’s just that gorgeous, gorgeous treat that you could have a lot of.
Courgette cake you said?
I’ve been making this for quite a few years now and kids loved it from the first bite. Love at first taste you would say. You couldn't possibly love this cake especially if you are a carrot cake lover.
Five a day in a cake...ha!... yes it is possible
Yes, there are quite a few ingredients in here but you can easily mix and match the fruit and veg here as you wish. I also use pumpkin instead of courgette sometimes or carrots, which is also delicious.
I am sure you will love this color and flavor full cake as much as we do, it is pretty healthy considering most of the ingredients here, the apples, courgette or zucchini, walnuts, turmeric, coconut sugar, super nutritious.
a zucchini cake is A GREAT WAY TO HIDE VEGETABLES IN
A great way of making your children have some veggies that they may not have otherwise. I mean not all kids love zucchini, right?
Here you definitely find a cocktail of flavors, just imagine that slightly toasted walnuts, with lemon, freshly grated ginger, apple, carrot, and nutmeg oh, la la! I am happily singing now and almost feel like leaving my chair and all this writing and getting to the kitchen and making it again despite only having it a few days back.
Other fresh fruit recipes to enjoy
Do you like cakes that contain fresh fruits, here are some more to enjoy, a superb peach and blueberry one, another peach and almond flour cake recipe or even this fresh strawberries gateau.
There is a lot that can be said about this recipe but I will stop myself here and get the baking going. I am sure you can no longer wait to have a bite 😉
* increase the sugar quantity if you like your cake any sweeter. I have made it with even less sugar than this and it was still beautiful. The frosting adds to its sweetness so bear that in mind.
* it is essential that the eggs are at room temperature when used.
* to keep this cake egg-free you can replace those with a tbsp soaked chia seeds. Soak for at least 40 min.
* if using salted or slightly salted butter do not add any salt.
* the apples you can peel or leave the skin on for more fiber. I always use organic apples and therefore I never peel them.
Apple, carrot and courgette (zucchini) cake with ginger and turmeric
For the cake:
- 380 g spelt flour light and sweet
- 225 g butter softened
- 125 g grated courgette/zucchini
- 210 g carrot grated
- 150 g chopped apples
- 60 g walnuts chopped and toasted
- 250 g coconut sugar
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt *
- 1 orange or lemon its juice
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda bicarbonate
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 200 g Philadelphia cheese or any cream cheese
- 1 lemon its juice
- 90 g icing sugar
- Preheat oven at 180C or 350F and prepare two oven proof loaf pans (8X4in) by greasing those well with butter or line with parchment paper.
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots, courgette and chop the apples.
- Toast and chop the walnuts.
- Squeeze all the juice out of the courgette by using a clean kitchen towel or by simply squeezing a fair amount of grated courgette between your palms until you managed to squeeze all the juice out.
- In a freestanding mixer, mix the softened butter and the sugar until nice and creamy. Add the eggs one by one mixing 30 seconds between them.
- Add the orange or the lemon juice, salt (unless using slightly salted butter), vanilla and the freshly grated ginger. Mix for a further 30 seconds until it is all incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour with the soda bicarbonate, baking powder, turmeric and cinnamon powders as well as the freshly grated nutmeg.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix with a spatula until incorporated.
- Add the grated carrots, courgette and chopped apples and the toasted and chopped nuts. Mix all in with a spatula.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tins and bake at 180C in the middle of the oven for about 50 min until it bounces back when pressed slightly and gently in the middle or until they become nice and golden brown. Turn midway if necessary.
- While the cake is baking prepare the frosting by whisking the cream cheese with the sugar and the lemon or orange juice. Add as much lemon/orange juice as needed until it gets to the desired fluidity/consistency, enough to make a beautiful drizzle.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely on a cooling rack before drizzling the frosting. Enjoy !
This cake is super yum! I made it as a slab cake and added an orange zest and about 1/4 cup milk as it was a tad dry to mix. Flavours are super yum! Especially the ginger. Perfect for kids lunch box (I omitted nuts).
Thank you so much for your feedback dear Fiona, I am so happy you guys liked the cake.
Can I use whilemeal or multi grain flour
You can try although just wholemeal might come a little drier- you can certainly give it a go as there is plenty of moist ingredients so, I am pretty certain it will work. Please do let me know how it came out. I am sure you will enjoy it no matter what as it is a delicious healthy treat.
This cake was so good. The kids were fighting over the last piece!
I loved the flavors of this! So yummy!
Such a delicious recipe! Thanks for sharing!
So delicious, and really easy to prep!