This carrot, red and white cabbage and egg super creamy coleslaw have to be one of our favourites side dishes to go with almost anything. This coleslaw recipe has to be one of the best ones you have ever tasted; it is packed with flavour, freshness and overall goodness.
Whenever I want something really fast for lunch, something that doesn't come out of a can, it is fresh and made from scratch, I make this. Keeping the Mediterranean way of eating all the way, and this is definitely the way.
This easy homemade coleslaw recipe is packed with fresh, lively colours and flavours that will be guaranteed to lift up anything you serve it with. Try this as a topping to sandwiches, served next to any meats, like braised beef or pulled pork, lamb or chicken. Or simply mount some on top of your next hot dog or lamb burger.
This red cabbage slaw recipe makes an amazing sandwich filler, side to almost anything you can possibly think of makes a great appetiser, or even something to snack on. It is something you should always have in the fridge ready to be tucked in.
I have added grated boiled eggs in this recipe which makes it almost an egg salad and the seasoning can vary but I will keep it easy, simple and super healthy too. The egg can be left out altogether or served on the side. You decide 😉
What cabbage is best to use in this slaw recipe
I have used pointed white cabbage as well as red cabbage but you may also use other types.
Here are a few types of cabbage you can use to make a nice and easy coleslaw:
- Napa cabbage or Chinese cabbage
- Green cabbage
- Red cabbage
- Savoy cabbage
- Jaroma cabbage
- Broccoli is amazing too in this recipe - just for a slightly different spin on this amazing recipe
I often add grated celeriac and it gives it such a nice taste twist but as mentioned in the recipe card, if you do not have celeriac add celery sticks finely chopped or shredded or celery seeds for extra amazing flavour. Kids love it too. It goes fabulously with falafel or as a side salad to any barbecued meat or a yummy fish dish. It is just fab!
Ingredients needed for coleslaw
- carrots - grated
- eggs -hard boiled
- red cabbage - shredded
- red pepper - cut julienne
- red onion - cut julienne
- celeriac -grated - and if you do not have this root you can use 1 teaspoon of celery seeds
- parsley - this has to be finely chopped
How to cut cabbage for slaw recipe
No matter what type of cabbage you use, the preparation is generally the same and here’s how to do it:
- Remove any bruised or tattered outer leaves.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, and then cut out the core (the hard bit).
- Shred the cabbage quarters into very thin (the thinnest you can) shreds. You can do this by hand using a sharp knife but you can use a mandoline or use your food processor by using the shredding attachment. The easiest way I guess.
1. Mix together mayonnaise, vinegar, cream, maple syrup/honey or sugar, salt, black pepper and a bit of yoghurt together.
2. Place shredded cabbage, celery/celeriac, carrot and onion in a large bowl.
3. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and mix really well to combine.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Simple, you said? Yes, I agree with you, totally!
Coleslaw can be made super healthy, absolutely! Even using mayonnaise if you use my homemade avocado oil recipe.
Use this mayo-free dressing, it's amazing
- apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar, or lemon juice)
- Dijon mustard
- salt to taste
- black pepper (a generous pinch)
- a good drizzle of olive oil.
Here are some more side dish recipes you may like :
- Healthy potato salad
- Watermelon and feta salad
- Mushrooms and polenta side
- Homemade healthy mayonnaise
So delicious with all the extra flavours!
Red cabbage, carrot & egg coleslaw
- glass bowl (large)
- chopping board
For the salad:
- 4 medium carrots (organic)
- 4 eggs (organic)
- ½ red cabbage (organic)
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 med onion (red)
- ¼ celeriac or 1 teaspoon of celery seeds
- parsley (or coriander) finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise I used Homemade healthy mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoon soured cream or yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- Boil the eggs for about 12-13' so they are as hard as they can be. When finished boiling, pour cold water over and set aside.
- Shred the cabbage and place it in a big bowl. Sprinkle some salt and give it a good massage.
- Add the shredded onion, chopped red pepper and the grated carrot.
- Peel the eggs and grate them when cooled. Add to the cabbage.
- Make the dressing, mix the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing mixture over the cabbage one and give it a good old mix. Add some chopped herbs if you wish, parsley, coriander or dill and mix.