Watermelon and feta salad is one of the most refreshing summer combos. It combines sweet, fruity, slightly bitter and salty together. It is the best salad of all time if you ask me. Have you tried it yet? If not, please do give this beautiful summer salad a try. Perfect for this glorious weather.
How to make watermelon and feta salad?
It is a quick and super simple salad to make. I have chosen to cube the watermelon and scoop the melon, I have added the de-skinned grapefruit and crumbled some feta cheese in and some more over at the end and voila! Salad is ready. It only takes 20 minutes at most.
We had some friends for a BBQ which was great after so many weeks of being so unsocial, so, our garden was our oyster. We clearly made some nice grilled chicken and pork and I have made a couple of other side salads to enjoy. Made this watermelon and feta as a dessert and the kids had it as it is but for us the adults, of course, we couldn't help ourselves but give it a little drizzle of grapefruit vodka. It was only a little, I promise ;-). It worked a treat, very nice indeed.
What to serve with watermelon and feta salad?
Feel free to throw in some fresh herbs other than mint. I have also made this watermelon salad with fresh thyme or basil, added some freshly sliced red onion, cucumber and olives. Wow, it is really delicious! You may also add a pretty simple vinaigrette made of just walnut oil, balsamic vinegar and freshly ground black pepper. You may also add arugula leaves to it. Make it your own but do keep the main ingredient which is the watermelon and feta!
You may choose any melon you may have or like when making this refreshing summer salad.
Want this watermelon salad a vegan version?
It is very simple, replace the feta cheese with a vegan feta cheese and the honey with maple syrup.
- Do I need to keep this salad refrigerated? Yes. Keep it in the fridge until serving
- How long in advance can I make it? I don't recommend you make this salad for more than one hour before serving;
- What do I do with leftovers? Ideally is to consume it freshly made but you may refrigerate it for later;
- Can I make the leftover into a smoothie? Yes, ideally do not add the feta but only to the amount you consume;
- Can I freeze it? Yes but only if you wish to make a smoothie later in which case do not add the feta if you intend to make it a smoothie or even think it may have leftovers.
If you like this salad, you may also like this:
Let's get going with this beautifully delicious and so refreshing summer salad.
Watermelon feta salad
- chopping board
- glass bowl
- fruit scoop tool
- ½ med watermelon cubed
- 1 med cuantalupe melon cubed or scooped
- 1 large grapefruit deskinned
- 200 g feta cheese cubed
- 10 leaves fresh mint chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 1 pinch black pepeper freshly ground
- 2 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- Cut rind from the watermelon, then chop the fruit into desired sized chunks.
- Place the cubed watermelon in a large glass salad bowl. Scoop or cube the melon and add to the salad bowl. De-skin the grapefruit and add over the melons. Chop the herbs and add to the salad bowl.
- Crumble the feta into the salad bowl and mix it in gently to integrate the cheese into the salad.
- Serve as a side or a dessert and for the adults, that dare, a drizzle of vodka works quite well 😉 Add a pinch of freshly ground pepper and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup if you wish. We just love it.