I would never replace a good old buffalo mozzarella cheese with any other mozzarella and pretend that it’s as nice because nothing really compares to a proper buffalo mozzarella cheese. Do you agree?
This pasta dish is absolutely divine. The taste of this pasta is probably one of the simplest tastes you could get but that’s exactly what the beauty of this dish is. Maybe it’s just me but this almost the same like if I was to go for a pizza. I don’t really enjoy anything more than a simple tomato and buffalo cheese pizza.
Simple = nicest. You can taste all three flavours pretty clearly and its simplicity just does the trick. It’s good, it’s very good indeed! It’s simple and brilliant! ?? ?
I sometimes use ready made tomato sauce like a Sacla whole cherry tomato and basil ? which is really nice but most of the times I make my own sauce which you can find it in this recipe. All easy peesy stuff! ?
Here’s the recipe ??
Gnocchi with buffalo mozzarella and whole cherry tomatoes saucePrint Pin Rate
- 600 g gnocchi pasta
- 200 g buffalo mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 springs basil (fresh)
- 1/3 tsp italian herbs (mixed)
- 1 pinch red chili flakes
- 4 tbsp cherry tomato and basil sauce (whole) *
- 200 g tomato sauce (like pasatta)
- 1/2 onion (finely chopped, or grated)
- 2 cloves garlic crushed and finely chopped
- 1/3 tsp Worcester sauce
- 1/4 tsp oregano (dry)
- 1/4 tsp basil (dry)
- 1 tsp cane sugar (unrefined) (or 1 tbsp of honey)
- 6-7 cherry tomato (tiny little ones)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- basil (fresh) (to garnish)
- If you want to make your own tomato sauce, start by putting a pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, crushed garlic, onion and salt. Cook for 10 min. Add few drops of water from time to time until onion is quite nice and soft. After the 10 min or so of cooking the onion add the tomato sauce, the Worcester sauce, the sugar or honey and the herbs. Cook on low heat for 10-12 min until it reduces down quite well. It really depends on how thick or watery this is. In the last 3-4 min of cooking, add the cherry tomatoes.
- While sauce simmers down, place a pan over medium heat with water and a bit of salt. Cook the gnocchi according to the package instructions but they need no longer than 3 min.
- Flake the buffalo mozzarella cheese and set aside on a plate.
- Place the boiled gnocchi in a frying pan over a medium heat with a tiny knob of butter. Cook for 2 min tossing regularly so that they don't stick.
- Remove the gnocchi pasta from the pan and place on the serving dish.
- If you wish to eat this hot sprinkle the mozzarella cheese all over followed by the tomato sauce. Sprinkle some chilli flakes and the Italian mixed herbs over.
- Garnish with some fresh basil leaves and serve. Simple and beautiful. The taste..oh!!... coming straight from heaven. ??