Homemade hollandaise sauce is very easy to make using my method. It is great when freshly made with simple fresh ingredients, opting for good quality and organic ingredients, whatever is available like eggs, butter, lemon and cayenne pepper.
What is hollandaise sauce?
It’s a butter sauce. A creamy sauce that is an absolute classic sauce, a must-have for any egg breakfast or brunch. It goes perfectly drizzled over some perfectly poached eggs or egg Benedict, asparagus and many other vegetables. A delicious finishing touch for many dishes like a poached egg, salmon and asparagus-like this one.
It might look like hollandaise sauce is a fancy sauce difficult to make. Well, let me break the good news to you, it is not. Not at all.
All you need it’s just 5 ingredients and it is literally a 5 min fun job. It’s seriously this easy. In fact, it must be the easiest recipe you’ve seen or ever made and I’ll guarantee you two things:
- This recipe will never fail if you follow these tips;
- You will never buy hollandaise sauce again.
You'll have the best hollandaise sauce there is with the finest ingredients in, guaranteed!
Hollandaise sauce isn't a sauce you would eat every day but hey, eggs Benedict, fish without it? It is a culinary sin!
How to make hollandaise sauce in Thermomix
- 4 egg yolks
- 130g unsalted butter or salted but then no salt should be used
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Insert butterfly.
- Place all ingredients into TM bowl and cook 8 mins 90o speed 3.
For this method, cold butter is also fine to use and it'll work.
Ingredients to make hollandaise sauce
There are only 4 or 5 ingredients that are needed to make this yummy sauce and these are:
- eggs - the fressher the better and I always use organic free range - they lood and taste amazing
- butter - organic salted or unsalted butter - if using salted butter, no salt should be added
- mustard - any mustard you like - I use French or English mustard
- lemon - it is a very important ingredient in this recipe
- cayenne pepper - of course, optional for a little kick 😉
How to make the perfect hollandaise sauce?
I always use a hand blender or an immersion blender which really makes it all so easy. You may use a blender too but it’s more washing to do 😉
To make this hollandaise sauce it simply takes 2 steps:
- Melt the butter - this is an important step
- Put all the other ingredients (egg yolk, lemon juice, salt, cayenne pepper and the mustard) all in one mug (I use a bigger one) blend for literally 5 seconds and then pour in the hot butter in three slots or streamed in.
Tada!! The hollandaise sauce is ready to go on your meal! Told ya it’s that easy! 👍🏻
Tip: To reheat this I always place the jar into a container (bowl) and add boiling hot water. Please be careful not to do this with the sauce jar coming straight out of the fridge. Allow this to rest 15-20 min outside to get to the room temperature first.
Cooks recommendations and tips:
• use organic ingredients as much as possible;
• the butter must be more than warm (on the hot side) melted 1 min in the microwave or whatever it takes on the stove;
• if your butter is unsalted, add 1/4 tsp salt;
• this sauce it’s not suitable for freezing.
It’s best to make and serve this fresh but you can store this in the fridge in a small jar for 3-4 days. Reheating the hollandaise sauce it's easy. I place the container of the sauce it's in, in a pot containing hot water. 15-20 seconds in the microwave which is another option.
The answer is yes! If you want to make hollandaise sauce, but you don’t have fresh lemons at home, substitute it with one tablespoon of white wine and one tablespoon of cider vinegar.
Daunting business when your hollandaise sauce turns out either too runny or it splits. Oh no!!
Oh yes!! Do not fret, honestly! This is easy to fix and it is not one of those things that are easier said than done. It is actually an easy task fixing it!
Here is how to fix it:
The hot melted butter is the key to getting the consistency right - The butter (I repeat because it is paramount) needs to be streamed in HOT. Just warm/melted butter will not work. You will get a not-so-nice split hollandaise sauce.
You can definitely bring your sauce back to life.
1) Blend in one or two tablespoons of boiling hot water - blend this while mixing gently until the consistency is right.
Add an extra egg yolk - while the blender is on, add an extra egg yolk and blend until it becomes that dreamy creamy.
More recipe tips:
- if you like the sauce slightly runnier add some warm water when almost finished with blending
- adjust the salt (if not using salted butter) and the lemon if you like more flavour
- the more lemon you add the lighter the sauce will become in colour
Some Recipes Where Hollandaise Sauce Will Work Fabulously:
Hollandaise Sauce - Easiest Homemade Recipe
- 3 egg yolks organic
- 1/2 cup salted butter cubed and melted
- 1 tbsp lemon
- 1 tsp mustard I always use Dijon for extra flavour and spice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Melt the butter and make sure it’s on the hot side and not just melted.
- In a taller glass or mug (the bottom must be wide enough for the blender to sit/reach right at the bottom of it), add all the ingredients egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard and cayenne pepper. Turn the bender on and blend for 5 seconds or so.
- Drizzle in the butter slowly in a little stream or just add it in 3 slots at an interval of 20 seconds while blending continuously. Move the blender up and down a few times. Once all of the hot butter has been added blend for 10-15 more seconds and it’s done!
That was one of the best hollandaise I tried. Perfect texture and flavors. This recipe is a keeper. Thanks!
Love this recipe, easy, classic and the most delicious. So happy I get to make a homemade one from scratch.
This hollandaise sauce is a classic! So perfect to keep on hand to take those breakfast recipes to the next level!
Stine Mari says
Love that little pinch of cayenne! Hollandaise is one of my favorite sauces (next to bearnaise!) and now I'm craving Eggs Benedict!
Amy Liu Dong says
This sauce is perfect for my salad, and I am so excited to make this right now. Thank you!
Hollandaise is so much better homemade and this recipe is perfect! I love the flavors and the simplicity of the method!
Lori | The Kitchen Whisperer says
So easy and so perfect any night of the week. Hollandaise from scratch has never been more delicious or easy! Thank you so much for sharing!
Moop Brown says
I've never made hollandaise sauce but this recipe for it it so straightforward and easy to understand. Thanks!
This recipe for hollandaise sauce is delicious and creamy! It is definitely a keeper. I won’t be buying any hollandaise sauce after this. Thank you!
This was my first time making hollandaise sauce from scratch. So easy, simple and delicious. This was 100 times better than the jarred stuff so thank you! 🙂
The mustard in this really added a different taste!
Great recipe, we loved it with our poached eggs 🙂
Thank you, Louise, it really does, doesn't it? It lifts it up and adds flavour too. I am so glad you loved it.
This hollandaise sauce is so easy, creamy, and delicious. Love this for brunch!
Your hollandaise recipe looks very good, and your photos are gorgeous! The photos make me want to sit and enjoy the beautiful meal.
Creamy, rich and delicious and so easy to make too. Perfect at the table for a quick bite spread.
This was exceptionally a good hollandaise sauce recipe. I am saving it and will be my to-go recipe. Thanks so much for sharing.