Oh yes, this is a mess! But undoubtedly a nice and absolutely yummy mess! ??? You only need to make it once and I promise, you get properly hooked to it! It’s comfort food, simple and very quick to make and very tasty.
My children ask for this salmon, broccoli and rice mess, again and again. But this happens all the time with so many other dishes because apparently mummy is a good cook (I am always told).
Aw, bless them! I promise I did not teach them to say that haha. I am glad to see they like my food, it is rewarding and more rewarding is the fact that they are appreciative and truly grateful.
Every time I have no time to think and have to put a meal together at its fastest, a dish like this is a true saviour. A saviour but also a winner. Simple is beautiful as you know. How good is it when you come super tired back from work or from a busy day and come up with an easy yet tasty dinner option, it’s great, I know! You are right.
This dish combines the sweet with savoury and it is nutritious, delicious, yes, not the best looking out there but one of the best tasting for sure. A rice dish is always welcomed in my family, kids do love rice and so do we, the adults but jasmine rice it’s totally a different flavour rice. For us, it is the top favourite rice especially for a dish like this.
Salmon is such a great fish, and here is another salmon dish that you will greatly enjoy and it is a similar kind of dish or try this beautiful salmon salad which is a true delight not only to the eye but the tastebuds too.
Salmon, rice & broccoli mess
- chopping board
- wooden spoon
- 1 small broccoli head (organic)
- 400 g salmon fresh
- 350 g thai jasmine rice
- 3-5 tbsp Tamari sauce
- 3-5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp ginger (organic) fresh, grated
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 1/2 stem lemon grass
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds mixed, black and white
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Wash thoroughly in their rise and set aside.
- Wash the broccoli and split/cut into small florets.
- Cook the rice according to pack instructions as cooking instructions differ from rice to rice.
- In a small bowl mix the sauces with the ginger, honey, garlic and the turmeric powder and the lemongrass (bruised and chopped into 1-2 cm long slices).
- Meanwhile, salt the salmon slightly and place the fillets in a pan. Cook (covered) over very low heat until cooked on both sides (about 10 min on each side) and then 2/3 of the mixed sauce. Cook for a further 5 minutes. Turn the fish on both sides so it cooks into the juice for about 2-3 min on each side. Switch off the heat and let it cool.
- In a separate pan cook the broccoli for a very short time covered 2-3 min by sprinkling few drops of water and the sesame oil. Add the remaining 1/3 of the sauce mix and cook for a further 1 min.
- Place the cooked rice in a large bowl or the serving dish, mix the fish which needs to be made into chunky flakes and this way you can check there are no bones left. Add the broccoli to the rice and mix again. Drizzle any sauce released from cooking all over the rice but not before picking up the lemongrass from it. Sprinkle the sesame seeds, freshly grind some pepper and go for it! Enjoy!