This vegetable quiche (flan) is a really light and healthy dish that I make over and over and … over again especially in wintertime when all the root vegetables are seasonal and thus so yummy! It is a lot healthier since it does not have any pastry base so it contains significantly less carbs.
This is a superb side to any meat but especially lamb since its sweetness complements so well the sweetness and the flavours of lamb. At the same, it can be beautiful next to any BBQ-ed meat and just as nice on its own.
Other dishes you may like
- Homemade Mici – the famous Romanian garlicky meat sausages
- Skewed veggies and meat grill
- Beef zucchini enchiladas
Purely delicious so try this recipe and let me know what you think!
Vegetable pastry-free flan (quiche)
- wooden spoon
- ovenproof dish
- glass bowl
- 1/2 large swede (organic)
- 1/2 large celeriac (organic)
- 4 carrots (organic)
- 2 med courgettes (organic)
- 1/2 leek (organic)
- 1 large onion (organic)
- 2 tbsp (heaped up) white flour (organic)
- 3 large eggs (organic)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 g rosemary fresh or dry
- 3 tbsp oil
- nutmeg (optional) freshly ground
- 2 potatoes (optional)
- Italian herbs (mixed)
- Preheat oven at 160 C and grease an oven tray generously with oil.
- Start by finely chopping the onion and the leek and sweat it in a pan (fry if you wish) with a little oil a pinch of salt and a good old grind or two of black pepper and a sprinkle of herbs.
- Wash all veggies and peel. I personally don't peel the courgettes because I love a bit of colour in there. It looks even prettier ;-)!
- In a large bowl grate the root vegetables on the big holes using either a food processor or a manual grater. Mix them all.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, some salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, herbs, the nutmeg (if you choose to put it in) and the flour. Put in the cooked onion and leek and mix it all very well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the grated vegetables and stir well all ingredients until they are well incorporated.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the oiled oven tray in a layer that is not thicker than 1 cm. If you are left with some put in a separate small oven dish (or a ramekin or two) but there shouldn't be any left really unless the tray quite small.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for about 40 min at 190°C or 180°C if you have a fan assisted oven. That is 375F. If the flan layer is thinner, keep an eye on cooking time as it will cook quicker. It should turn nice and golden. If you wish to indulge a little sprinkle a bit of cheese on top.;-))