These chicken skewers in the oven are ideal to cook no matter what the weather or what the season is. If the weather or time of the year permits, it can be beautifully cooked on the grill or barbeque too.
- chicken breast or chicken thighs
- red onions
- courgettes or zucchinis
- spices ( use any you like such as zataar, cumin, curry powder, chilli powder)
I have used chicken breast and thighs this time but I have used lamb, pork and prawns in the past as alternatives. The marinade works well with all these and of course the veggies too.
An absolutely divine and really healthy dish for all seasons that can be enjoyed with couscous, quinoa or rice and a side salad. Simply amazing.
If you enjoyed this, here are some more recipes you may like:
- Succulent exotic BBQ-ed prawns
- Homemade burgers with mint and cumin yoghurt sauce
- Teriyaki chicken skewers
Chicken skewers in the oven
For the grill:
- 500 g chicken thighs and breast
- 2 large red onions
- 2 large courgettes
For the meat marinade:
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt or Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 tbsp ground pepper black, freshly ground
- 1 large garlic grated
- 1 tbsp dry herbs optional
The marinade & grill:
- Prepare the marinade by mixing the finely chopped garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, yoghurt and any herbs or spices you fancy.
- Cut the chicken meat into chunks of about a square 1 inch or slightly bigger and marinade. These should be marinated, ideally, for about 3-4 hours. It is best to prepare the meat in advance, even the night before.
- Chop all the veggies into the desired size chunks.
- Alternate the meat and the veggies on the skewers and cook for about 20-25 min in the preheated oven.
Preparing the skewers:
- If you don't have metal skewers and you are using the wooden ones ( they're good in the oven only). You can soak them in water for a good 20 minutes before using them so that they don't burn.
- Marinade meat of your choice in lemon or wine (white wine if chicken or fish and red wine for pork, beef or lamb), salt, pepper and garlic.
- If you are choosing to go for chicken breast, add 2-3 tablespoons of yoghurt to the marinade. This will help to keep the meat juicier and prevent it from drying.
- Put on skewers with veggies or even fruits that you like such as pineapple, kumquat, peaches or lychees!
- The oven should be only preheated for about 10 min priorly.