I cannot have a day pass by and not have a salad, can you? But this red cabbage and carrot salad recipe is particularly delicious. A combo that is highly desirable and unforgettable.
I could easily eat a salad every day and never get bored or tired of them because the possibilities and the variety that you can make are endless.
The good thing about the salads, in general, is that those can be made really, really quick, they have that sweet, tangy taste, they are crisp, invigorating and super refreshing, and... apart from a soup, they can make a perfect lunch or a side to anything.
I have made this recipe many, many times and it is one of those ones that you can have any time of the year. The last time I made this salad was a few days ago, I came back from work and asked the kids what they would fancy for dinner. The answer was a pretty quick and surprising one, my 10 and 8-year-old asked for a healthy salad, “one of those delicious salads you make “, I was told, so I had to deliver ;-)).
If you eat this red cabbage and carrot salad on its own, as a main dish, you could go for a dressing that is a little richer, such as a peanut one (check the recipe notes) or you could add some chicken or beans for some protein so it gets a little more filling.
I have made this healthy carrot salad recently again and last time we had it as a side to this spinach and mushrooms stuffed chicken breast. Oh, it was a delicious dream!
You can certainly feel adventurous and add ingredients of your choice or liking.
Give this salad recipe a try!
Red cabbage and carrot salad
- chopping board
- wooden spoon
- 2 carrots (organic)
- ½ red cabbage (organic)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (organic)
- ½ cucumber (organic)
- 1-2 sticks celery (organic)
- salad creme or salad ranch or any vinaigrette you like ( optional
- parsley or coriander (to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- Wash all ingredients and peel the carrot and the cucumber if you prefer (I only peel the non-organic ones)
- Shred the cabbage and grate the cucumber and the carrot. Place in a bowl. Chop the celery and set it all aside.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes and place all in a bowl.
- Mix everything add salt and some pepper to taste and drizzle the vinaigrette in whatever quantity you desire.
- Serve and enjoy!