This cavolo nero and kale sea bass stir fry is yet another quick recipe to prepare (ideally for week time) when we tend to have a lot less time to cook.
It is a nutritious recipe is always welcome, especially when this can be cooked in a flash. I know I put a lot of emphasis on the time it takes us for all this cooking but don’t you guys feel the same, you want to cook something to be super healthy, (okay, I agree, not all the time but most times), something to look and taste super good, and to be on the table in a flash! To me, this is the ideal outcome. It is super cool to be able to do all this home cooking and to tick all those boxes.
What is cavolo nero?
I don’t know if you’re very familiar with this beautiful leafy ingredient called cavolo nero, I remember the first time I came across this leaf (a good few years back) I was very intrigued by its appearances, I thought it looks very pretty but unusual at the same time so I was very keen to give it a try.
So, just in case you are not really familiar with what this really is, here are some facts about it and a little explanation about it and where it comes from.
It is known by a lot of names like Lacinato kale (in Italian) or simply black kale (in English), as Italian kale, Tuscan kale, flat back cabbage, Tuscan cabbage, dinosaur kale, palm tree kale, or black Tuscan palm.
Yes, you've guessed it! The cavolo nero originates from Italy and it has got quite a long tradition (we are talking centuries old here ;-)) in Italian cuisine, especially in the region of Tuscany. Lacinato kale is also one of the traditional ingredients for Italian recipes such as ribollita, minestrone.
I love the way it looks, the way it tastes. It’s great stuff so let’s just get it in the pan.
Other recipes you may like :
- Tenderstem broccoli and buffalo hoisin stir fry
- Delicious duck on soba buckwheat noodles
- Teriyaki chicken egg fried rice with vegetables
Here we are, let's get this done!
Cavolo Nero And Kale Sea Bass Stir Fry
- 250 g kale
- 200 g Cavolo Nero
- 4 fillets sea bass
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 courgette/ zucchini ribbons
- 1 pepper (red or orange)
- 5-6 mushrooms (chestnut type)
- 1 head broccoli (florets)
- 1-2 small red chilli (Thai style- less hot)
- 2 big carrots made into ribbons
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds (black and white mix)
- Wash and shred (if not already shredded) the kale and Cavolo Nero. Set aside.
- In a deep frying pan or an oak, placed on medium fire, put in half of the coconut oil. Add the shredded kale and Cavolo Nero, broccoli florets and cook for 1 min. Add the sliced mushrooms, sliced red/orange pepper, the carrot and courgettes shavings. Cook for another 6-7 minutes tossing a couple of times. Add the garlic some soy sauce and the Hoisin sauce. Allow cooking for a further 1-2 minutes Turn heat off whenever ready.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, set on medium fire, put in the remaining coconut oil and place the fish fillets, sprinkle some soy sauce or a little salt and pepper and cook on both sides for 4-6 min on each side depending on size and thickness of the filet.
- When ready, prepare the plates and serve with a sprinkle of mixed sesame seeds and of course some red chilli or some sweet chilli sauce if you fancy.