This superb creamy chicken and mushroom dish is rich but it is by far my family’s absolute favorite! Kids go crazy about it and so does my husband. I am sure you will love it too, so give it a go.
Again it is one of my childhood tastes, a dish that I was always so excited about when my mum would tell us she is making. It is creamy and nutty and the combination of cream with the chicken is truly amazing.
I really like to have this with the polenta, I am not quite sure why but it could be because they really do complement each other or it is because this is how I have always had it.
A good crisp, nutty and healthy homemade bread or flatbread would be a joyful choice with this dish, I am certain of this.
🥘 Ingredients you'll need for this dish
For Creamy Chicken:
- chicken breast - thighs will work great too in this recipe
- mushrooms -use a white closed cup or chestnut /cremini mushroom (these will darken the sauce)
- onion - use shallots for a great taste or leeks
- creme fraiche - only go full fat as fat-free will split
- double cream or heavy cream
- salt - use kosher or Himalayan salt
- garlic - do not skip this as it will make a great addition to the flavor
- freshly ground pepper - adds great flavor
- olive oil - or butter if you like it more
- polenta flour - see substitutions below if you do not have this ingredient
- water - chicken or vegetable stock is also a great option
- dried or fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, basil, or oregano
🔪 How to make creamy chicken mushroom
It is a super easy dish to make that requires making the polenta separately and the creamy chicken with the mushrooms separately.
Making the polenta can be a simultaneous step with making the creamy chicken.
Step 1: Make the Polenta
- Boil some water, add salt, and herbs) - see the recipe card for the exact amounts
Step 2: Make the Creamy Chicken Mushroom
- Chop the onion, cook, add chicken, cook a little more, stir, add the mushrooms, cook more, add creme and garlic, and ta-da!
- See full instructions and ingredient amounts in the recipe card below.
- Polenta - grits, semolina, or mashed potatoes will work great with this recipe
- Chicken - pork, fish, seafood or turkey, or potatoes for a vegetarian option.
- Mushrooms - zucchini/courgettes, aubergines
- Onion - you may use leeks, fennel, celery, shallots, or spring onion/ scallions.
👪 Serving Suggestions
A crusty homemade sourdough or french baguette is really nice to serve this dish with especially if polenta isn't an option. I also tried it with this superb lentil bread and it's an absolute delight.
Fully enjoy this rich and creamy dish with a glass of good white wine! yay!
- I never use any oil, to begin with as the dairy products used in the recipe are rich and have their own fats and plenty of it. I normally sprinkle some water to get it started.
- Dairy products used here should never be fat-free (as they curdle) but they can be substituted with half-fat crème fraîche or single cream.
- For a vegan version of this dish, add vegetable stock cubes, use plant-based milk and add a tablespoon of flour.
- This creamy chicken dish is best when it is served hot!
Absolutely yes! This creamy chicken can be made in advance and heated to a boiling point right before serving. You may need to add a drizzle of stock or water so you'll have enough sauce.
Yes, absolutely. Skip the chicken and add vegetable stock for extra flavor. Add more mushrooms or even a combination or mixture of those. Oyster mushrooms work fabulously in this dish.
This chicken mushroom dish lasts for a good 3-4 days if refrigerated in an airtight container.
Yes, it can be frozen and thawed correctly in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat to boiling point and serve with the desired side. Polenta can also be frozen, thawed, and reheated on the grill or in a pan until piping hot.
🍗 Other chicken recipes you may like:
Other mushroom recipes you may enjoy:
- Vegan Mushrooms And Polenta
- Creamy Cauliflower With Pork Medallions, Turmeric, And Mushrooms
- Baby Courgette, Chestnut Mushrooms, And Pancetta Linguini
- Brown And Green Lentils With Portobello Mushrooms, Wasabi Rocket, And Watercress Hearty Salad
- Best Ever Quail Eggs, Potato, And Mushrooms Brunch
Did you make this chicken mushroom recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page or even share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #ramonascuisine
Thank you so much for stopping by!
🍄 Creamy chicken and mushroom with polenta
For Creamy Chicken:
- 400 g chicken breast (14.11 oz)
- 250 g mushrooms (8.82 oz) closed cup or chestnut
- 1 large onion optional
- 250 ml creme fraiche (8.45 fl oz) full fat
- 100 ml double cream (3.38 fl oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch freshy ground pepper
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil optional
- 150 g polenta flour (5.29 oz)
- 500 ml water (16.91 fl oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch thyme dried or fresh or rosemary
- pepper (freshly ground) optional
Making the Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- Chop the onion and place it in a cooking pan that is on medium heat. Sprinkle salt and add the chicken along with a few drops of water and cover. Cook for about 10 min, occasionally stirring gently. Do not allow it to burn as this will not look good- it is meant to be a nice white sauce, and burning it will change its color. Add a bit of water from time to time if needed or even a splash of white wine for that extra flavor!
- Slice the mushrooms and add to the chicken and onion. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and the double cream and let cook (uncovered) for a further 7-10 min over medium/low heat. Add the chopped or minced garlic 2-3 minutes before finishing with the cooking.
Making the Polenta
- While the chicken cooks, place a pot with the water for the polenta on medium/high heat, add the salt, and allow to boil.
- When the water for the polenta is boiling, add the chopped thyme or rosemary and then the polenta flour while stirring gently until it all homogenizes. Continue to stir for about 2 minutes and then allow to cook for another 2 minutes. Repeat this 3 times and then take it out onto a plate.
- Serve a spoonful or two of polenta along with 3-4 spoonfuls of creamy sauce.
Moop Brown says
This recipe seems tasty and perfect for weeknights. I like that it can be frozen and stored for later as well.
Lori | The Kitchen Whisperer says
OH wow this looks so comforting and perfect on a cold winter night! This is on the many for tomorrow. I love mushrooms with chicken and this looks incredible!
You have some great ideas for added variations for this recipe. I love your idea of adding zucchini and celery! YUM!
The double cream adds a creamy texture to this dish that's the perfect addition to adding on top of the polenta.
Jacqueline Debono says
Chicken and mushrooms are a favourite in our house and this version looks amazing and yet so easy to make! I love the idea of pairing it with polenta. Planning this for lunch very soon!
The chicken was sooo creamy and went really well with the polenta. I like that you didn't use any oil, the dish really didn't need it. So delicious!
Loreto and Nicoletta says
I live these soulful recipes that remind us of those meal's that our moms made that we were so excited about! This is just hugging me from the inside out! Thank you for sharing and reminding us about our moms!
This was such a nice change for a weeknight family meal! We loved the polenta instead of, say, a pasta dish, and the creamy sauce made the chicken so juicy. It was all perfect together. Thanks!
This polenta was awesome. Such an easy recipe to follow and so tasty. Thanks for the recipe. Will definitely make again.
Thank you so much Megane!
This creamy chicken and mushroom dish looks amazing and I know my family is going to love it. Thank you!
Mary Meyer says
I haven't made this yet, but I am very excited about trying it. What could I replace the Polenta with? Not available where I live. Thank you so much for these creamy recipes. Anything creamy I love.
I would say grits, mashed potatoes, or semolina flour to be the best substitutions for polenta. Search on Amazon, you might be able to find polenta flour, or google it as you might be able to find it at local artisan shops, any Eastern European or Turkish grocery shops will have it too.
Jacqueline Debono says
This is so good Ramona! I love chicken and mushrooms but have never made it with cream or served it with polenta! Definitely going to try it out very very soon!
Thank you Jacqui,
It really is a must try dish - let me know how you’ve found it. ??
Shashi at SavorySpin says
I adore mushrooms and this dish looks so creamy - so indulgent - so comforting! I see how well this would pair with polenta like you mentioned or even some crusty bread. Thanks so much for sharing.
Thank you so much Shashi - it is truly comforting and delicious indeed. I’m so glad you like it too. ??
Sounds delicious and when I see a creamy dish I'm drooling, I really love creamy dishes and this one deserves a try. Thank you for sharing. I have another recipe to add to my creamy list.
Thank you so much Melve - I hope you’ll love this creamy dish as much as I do. ??