This superb creamy chicken and mushroom dish is rich but it is by far my family’s absolute favorite! I am sure you will love it too, so give it a go.
Again it is one of my childhood tastes, a dish that I was always so excited when my mum was saying she is making. It is creamy, nutty and the combination of cream with the chicken is truly good.
I really like to have this with the polenta, I am not quite sure why but it could be because they really do complement each other or it is because this is how I have always had it.
Fully enjoy this rich and creamy dish with a glass of good white wine! yeyy!
Creamy chicken and mushrooms with polenta
- 400 g chicken breast
- 250 g mushrooms closed cup or chestnut
- 1 large onion optional
- 250 ml creme fraiche full fat
- 100 ml double cream
- 1 pinch freshy ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil optional
- 150 g polenta flour
- 500 ml water
- 1 pinch thyme or rosemary
- 1/2 clove garlic optional
- Chop the onion and place in a cooking pan that is over a medium heat. Sprinkle salt and add the chicken along with few drops of water and cover. Cook for about 10 min, occasionally stirring gently. Do not allow to burn as this will not look good in a white sauce. Add a bit of water from time to time if needed or even a splash of white wine!
- While the chicken cooks, place a pot with the water for the polenta on medium/high fire, add the salt and allow to boil.
- Slice the mushrooms and add to the chicken and onion. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and the double cream and let cook (uncovered) for a further 7-10 min over medium/low heat.
- When the water for the polenta is boiling, add the chopped thyme or rosemary and then the polenta flour while stirring gently until it all homogenises. Continue to stir for about 2 minutes and then allow to cook for 2 minutes. Repeat this 3 times and then take out on a plate.
- Serve a spoonful or two of polenta along with 3-4 spoonful of creamy sauce.