If you are a lover of cinnamon roll and apple pie this is your dream treat. To me, there is nothing better than a cinnamon roll apple pie - a combination to die for. Truly amazing!
This time I have made it with a ready bought crescent dough or croissant ready rolled pastry which we can readily buy over here in the UK. I do use ready bought pastry as I find it too much work to make my own, however, sometimes I do make my own croissants from scratch which are amazing but take a little too long to make.
This is meant to make a super quick breakfast so no time for making own pastry but feel free to do it if you have that time in hands, it is definitely worth it. Here is a good recipe for a croissant dough which I use whenever I make my own. It delivers beautifully and perfectly laminated croissants every time.
How to make this skillet giant cinnamon roll apple pie?
well, it is super easy actually. You will need to unroll the dough, cut it into long strips and place this into a circular pattern into a lightly greased skillet or oven proof dish.
Place in between each layer apple slices which were previously cooked. Drizzle over any juices left from cooking the apples and it is ready to go into the preheated oven. A few minutes later you will have the best treat ever for you to serve with a drizzle of caramel sauce, raspberry coulis, just some icing sugar or a dollop of ice cream, I know you were waiting to see this. Yes, ice cream is probably the best option. We had this simply with some extra fruits and a cloud of powdered sugar puffed over it.
The reason we chose a lighter topping this time was simply because this was a second breakfast that day so had to kinda behave a little but you have to believe me here that in normal circumstances this is 99% of the time served with ice cream in this household.
What apples shall I use for this cinnamon roll?
This apple pie recipe is loaded with over 4 pounds of apples. How do you know which kind to buy? You want an apple that is not overly sweet and won’t turn to mush when baking.
I definitely do not recommend cooking apples. These are way too sour for this. I would use Granny Smiths which despite being a little tart, are classic apples for a pie apple since they have a nice firm flesh. Honeycrisp type is slightly sweeter but Cox, Pink Lady or Braeburn also make a great choice for this recipe. Any apple that is not too floury and has a firmer flesh will work very well here.
Here is this beautiful giant cinnamon roll apple pie just before getting into the oven 😉
I have chosen to add quite a few apples but you can cut the amount of the apples if you like it sweeter. Maybe a couple of apples would suffice.
Of course you can choose other fruits too and berries are going particularly well with this recipe.
Choose nice and sweet apples rather than any sour ones.
Yes, absolutely. Just cut int 2 cm (1 inch) strips.
Yes, definitely. Freeze it ready to go into the oven and bake from frozen. A few minutes (4-5) longer.
Here are some more recipes you may like
- this beautiful quiche
- what about this lush breakfast
- apple and walnut pizza
- apple and orange marmalade tart
Cinnamon roll apple pie
- chopping board
- ovenproof dish
- wooden spoon
- 1 pack croissant pastry I used just roll ready-made croissant dough
- 3 large apples sliced and cooked
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp sugar unrefined
- 1 tbsp icing sugar powder sugar
- 2 med apricots optional
- 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds or any other fresh fruits
- 3-4 tbsp sugar extra to sprinkle over (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 180C/350F and lightly grease a skillet or an ovenproof dish.
- In a pan, cook the sliced apples with the sugar over medium fire until the sugar has completely dissolved. It will take approximately 5-6 min. Add the cinnamon, mix and set aside to cool.
- While the apples are cooling off, cut the pastry lengthwise into 2cm or approx 1 inch thinck strips.
- Arrange the pastry strips into a circular pattern.
- Insert apple slices in between the pastry strips allowing some distance in between each slice (see picture) Drizzle the juices from cooking the apples over if any.
- If you like it sweeter, sprinkle 3-4 tablespoons extra sugar over as apples aren't too sweet so there is room for extra sweetness if you like that.
- Place the cinnamon roll apple pie into the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 min until it turns nice and golden brown. Place in the middle of the oven and if you have an oven that it is not fan assisted, you may need to bake it a little extra. Just keep it in until you are satisfied with its colour.
- When ready, take it out and serve pretty much immediately with your topping choice.