Christmas came and went fast! The atmosphere was magic and so was the food.
During holidays, we do eat a lot more than we should and I thought I’d put up this yummy curried Brussels sprouts with chicken and cavolo Nero recipe as a post-holiday one to get us back into health, still yummy enough so there is no much of a shock to our taste buds. ?? I have made this during holidays too - it’s a super tasty and versatile since you could mix ingredients as you like.
I know many people almost run away from brussels sprouts but why seriously.... they are really good for us and not that bad of a taste either. It’s just fuss. ?? Anyone that eats cabbage should have no issues with those cute little darlings ;))).
Many people I know, think and find those disgusting. Come on, they're not, especially if you disguise the taste with a few other ingredients. They are actually quite good and super healthy, but hey, if you don’t like them and insist on not liking them, replace those with anything you like.
Ok, the secret is, I have few ingredients (Brussels sprouts are there too ) which I am not crazy about either but I like them, I like them enough to prepare them especially during Christmas time when they are in a full season.
There are a few ways I prepare them and here is one of them.
I do like to add a dash of bacon or some sausages to make it a little tastier as chicken can be a little boring on its own. If you have any smoked stuff it’s even better, well, I like it for extra flavour.
Cavolo nero is such a versatile vegetable, it is also known as the black kale. It has a great rich, intense and slightly sweet flavour ad could be cooked in many different ways, in soups, casseroles, but is also delicious in lighter dishes such as salads. I love its texture and has a lovely colour and crunch. It makes a fantastic accompaniment, complementing a number of meat and fish dishes – and does not have to be all Italian cooking ;-).
I will be coming with a recipe soon of beans sausage and cavolo nero casserole to die for so stay tuned and look it up.
What about these recipes, browse around and see what else this site has to share :
- Healthy Potato Salad
- Watermelon and feta salad
- One-pan curried wild rice, red quinoa with sausage and Cavolo Nero
- Curried chicken and green beans couscous
- Brussels sprouts, cranberries and bacon salad
Here’s this quick ’n’ yummy recipe...
Curried brussels sprouts with chicken and cavolo nero
- chopping board
- 400 g Brussels sprouts
- 4 chicken breasts
- 200 g bacon (gammon or sausages)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 6 leaves Cavolo Nero (halved)
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1-2 teaspoon curry powder (mild)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or olive oil)
- Clean, wash and chop the cavolo Nero, clean, wash and half the really large Brussels sprouts.
- In a pan, bring water to boil and add the Brussels sprouts. Boil for about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Place a deep frying pan/wok style on medium fire. Add the coconut oil along with the tiny chopped chicken and bacon/gammon/sausages. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients apart from the cavolo Nero leaves and the tomatoes, so, sprinkle some salt to taste, grind some pepper, the curry powder, chilli flakes, chopped garlic, chickpeas and cook for a further 3 min tossing occasionally.
- Add the shredded cavolo Nero leaves and the halved tomatoes and cook for 3-4 min giving it a little tossing every now and again. You can cook for slightly longer but I like my leaves crunchy.
- Remove from heat when ready and serve as soon as, so.... hot ?