This dough free pizza is a superb way to introduce a vast range of veggies into our diet. Quick to make and absolutely delicious. Great for sharing or to take out for a picnic.
A few days ago I came home from work, as hungry as a wolf. I opened the fridge and have found some vegetables that were leftover from the night before and I wasn’t sure what to make with those. I wanted something that was going to be ready as quick as possible without me having to tuck into the chocolate pot or dive into the sweets cupboard. This is how this dough free pizza was born.
Here’s what popped as an idea and I can tell you this totally gluten-free veggie pizza is absolutely beautiful and it has got that ‘I can’t have enough of it’ written all over it- it is really moreish.
Additionally to yumminess, this dough free pizza is really is easy to make and anyone can give it a go. If you happen to have some cooked vegetables this will become a superbly fast dish to prepare.
The feta cheese in this gives that nice salty finish that complements the sweetness of the base making this a delicious and truly beautiful vegetarian pizza.
The potato, carrot and egg crust might look like it’s not going to stay together or be soggy, but don’t worry for a minute. It comes out superbly. Just make sure, when spreading the base out, you do it evenly with no gaps and there will be no issues whatsoever.
The pizza base comes out nicely and quite fluffy, as a result of the ingredients mix, especially the egg, which also helps with binding it nicely together.
The beauty about this pizza is that there is no flour involved making it a lot lower in carbs and obviously totally wheat and gluten-free!
Here are some more ideas for delicious and super quick pizza recipes:
- Vegetarian pizza on ciabatta bread
- Quick breakfast pizza slices with quail eggs and a special tomato sauce
- Apple and walnut pizza – a delicious sweet pizza version
- Potato base pizza in a pan
- Homemade pizza on pita bread
You will simply love it!
Let’s get cooking, shall we?
- ovenproof dish
- chopping board
For the pizza filling:
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp creme fraiche
- 150 g cheddar cheese (grated)
- 10-12 small broccoli florets
- 1 small courgette
- 1 small red onion
- 1 small leek (or 2 baby-leeks)
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil (to drizzle over the veggies)
- 80 g feta cheese (crumbled) (tro sprinkle over)
For the pizza base:
- 1 egg
- 2 carrots
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt (or kosher salt)
- 2-3 springs thyme (fresh) or parsley, or dill
- 1/2 tsp italian herbs (dried)
- 1/2 tsp Sesame seeds
- 1 pinch pepper (freshly ground)
- Preheat the oven at 190 C and prepare two oven dishes. One for the base (approx 20 cm) to be baked in and the second to bake all the vegetables that will be used in the filling or topping, however you want to call it. i will call it filling only because there will be an extra topping which is the feta cheese.
- Try and prepare the base and filling at the same time so they can simultaneously go in the oven otherwise the cooking time will differ. So, wash, peel and chop all the veggies that go into the filling (onion, pepper, courgette, leek and broccoli). Put all in the prepared tray and drizzle the olive oil. Wash, peel and, in a larger bowl, grate (on big holes) the sweet potato and the carrot(s).
- Prepare the base by adding an egg and the remainder of the ingredients (salt, pepper, the dry and fresh herbs to the grated sweet potato and the carrot. Mix well and spread this in the oven dish lined with parchment paper. Make sure it is evenly spread and form some edges.
- Place both the filling and the base in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25′ at 200 C.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, beat the 2 eggs, add the creme fraîche, the salt, pepper and the grated cheddar cheese.
- When baking is finished take both out.
- Place the filling baked vegetables on to the base by spreading them around evenly.
- Pour the egg mix over the veggies.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese over and place back into the oven. Bake further at 190 C for approximately 15 minutes.
- When ready, take out and serve.