I always think of ways to create healthy snacking, for us the adults but mainly for the children who always tend to like and choose the shop sacks that are packed with processed stuff. We are into healthy eating for quite a good years now and I think this was definitely the best thing we have ever done. This energy or power snack recipe contains no added processed sugar, it contains just the natural sweetness given by coconut and honey. It is not the sweetest snack you have had, not at all but the nutritional goodness provided by just one of these squares is utterly priceless.
Why this sugar-free energy snack?
Well, instead of tucking into a pack of biscuits which we all know there will be nothing left of once we get it started, we need to find ways to snack on healthier bites.
Don't misunderstand me, this energy snack idea is super moreish too but they are far healthier and pretty filling at the same time. These cannot be compared with any other snack bars or bites available in the supermarkets. Well, in my opinion. Try it and you see if I am right.
My kids always want something different to snack on when they come out of school as they are always very hungry. They love these power snack squares, they give them so much energy! Confirmed!!
But before I go into telling you the recipe of this amazing snack idea, let me tell you a little more about a few of the ingredients which you may or may not know much about. Some of the ingredients in these healthy bites contain phytochemicals that protect prevent us from getting ill.
There are over a thousand known phytochemicals and some well-known ones are the lycopene in tomatoes, flavonoids in fruits and isoflavones in soy.
What is Camu Camu powder?
Camu Camu is a shrub found in the Amazon rain forests of Peru and Brazil. Its fruit is packed with more natural vitamin C than any other food source recorded on this planet. Eating this will help us say goodbye to any colds or flu.
- Camu Camu is also very rich in beta-carotene, potassium, calcium, iron, niacin, phosphorus, protein, serine, thiamin, leucine, and valine. It provides about 30-50 times more vitamin C than oranges, for instance, ten times more iron, three times more niacin, twice as much riboflavin, and 50% more phosphorus (Wow!!! That's what I thought when I read about this powder's qualities!).
- These nutritional and powerful antioxidants have really powerful phytochemicals and amino-acids which have a surprising range of therapeutic effects like anti-inflammatory and fighting cancer.
- Its benefits also include strengthening the immune system, it is a good antidepressant, so it balances your mood (Yuppeee). It even optimizes the nervous system functionality which includes eye and brain functions. Seriously, there is more to say but I think I've persuaded you to add it to your diet pretty much straight away.
I will go on and tell you a little more as I am really excited to tell you all about some awesome ingredients in this sugar-free snack recipe packed with real nutritional goodness.
What is baobab powder?
- I love this! We start eating this very handsome tree's fruit that comes all the way from Africa.
- The amazing baobab powder is low in sugar and fat yet high in fibre and it is packed with antioxidants, it is rich in vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium-containing more than 12 minerals and vitamins.
- It helps us maintain a healthy digestive tract and it keeps us fuller for longer. It's all fantastic stuff! I ould go on and on about all the other ingredients but all in all, you have guessed it, it is a real blissful bust for our body.
How to store these power snack bites?
Place the squares in an airtight container and keep these refrigerated. They can be refrigerated for up to 14 days.
How to avoid these snack bites from sticking?
If you want to avoid the chocolaty finish of these snacks, spread some desiccated coconut over as soon as you finished making these, just before the initial fridge resting.
If you like these power snack squares, you may also like these:
- Dates, grapes and goats cheese super balls snack
- Gluten-free date and walnut snack
- Pecan cookies with rye and barley flakes
I will get on with getting you this wonderful recipe revealed so, here we go.
Enjoy this snack it and please feel free to add new adventurous ingredients and let me know what did you come up with. I would be really interested to hear more.
Sugar free power snack squares
- glass bowl
- parchment paper
- 12 tablespoons oats (organic) jumbo rolled
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (organic)
- 2 tablespoons goji berries (organic)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (organic)
- 1 teaspoon baobab powder (organic)
- 1 teaspoon camu camu powder (organic)
- 1 teaspoon maca powder (organic)
- 2 tablespoons coconut (organic) desiccated
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons nuts (organic, chopped) hazelnuts, cashew nuts, almonds, walnuts
- 2 tablespoons honey (organic) (optional- use alternative sweetener as a vegan substitute)
- 50 g dark chocolate (1.76 oz) (organic) 70%
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (organic) extra virgin
- 1-2 tablespoon peanut butter
- In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients (oats, Chia seeds, Goji berries, Cocoa powder, Baobab, Camu Camu and the Maca powder, the desiccated Coconut, Poppy seeds, Sea Salt and the mixed nuts chopped).
- Place a glass bowl over a pot with boiling water where all the remaining ingredients have been put in (the honey, dark chocolate, coconut oil and peanut butter). Stir well until they homogenized well. 40-45 seconds in the microwave will be as good.
- Pour the liquid ingredients as soon as they have melted over the dry ingredients and mix together well.
- Place the mix over a sheet of parchment paper and spread it into a layer of about 1 cm thick.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour then take out and cut into squares.