I always think of ways to create healthy snacking, for us the adults but mainly for the children who always tend to like and choose the shop ones! We are into healthy eating for a good few years now and I think we turn to this option more and more. Instead of tucking in a pack of biscuits which you know there will be nothing left of once we get it started, need to find ways to do that the healthier way.
Don’t misunderstand me, this power snack squares are super moreish too but they are far healthier and filling at the same time and cannot be compared with any other snack bars or bites available in the supermarkets. Well, in my opinion. Try it and you see if I am right.
My kids always want something different to snack on when they come out of school as somehow they are always very hungry. They love these power snack squares, these give them so much energy! Confirmed!!
But before I go into telling you the recipe of this bombastic snack, let me tell you a little more about a few of the ingredients which you may or may not know much about. Some of the ingredients in these healthy bites contain phytochemicals which protect prevent us from getting ill. There are over a thousand known phytochemicals and some well-known ones are the lycopene in tomatoes, flavonoids in fruits and isoflavones in soy.
Camu Camu, for example, is a shrub found in the Amazon rain forests of Peru and Brazil. This fruit is packed with more natural vitamin C than any other food source recorded on this planet so say goodbye to colds but is also very rich in beta-carotene, potassium, calcium, iron, niacin, phosphorus, protein, serine, thiamin, leucine, and valine. It provides about 30-50 times more vitamin C than oranges, for instance, ten times more iron, three times more niacin, twice as much riboflavin, and 50% more phosphorus (Wow!!! That’s what I thought when I read about this powder’s qualities!).
These nutritional and powerful antioxidant has really powerful phytochemicals and amino-acids which have a surprising range of therapeutic effects like an anti-inflammatory for example. Its benefits also include strengthening the immune system, it is a good antidepressant, so it balances your mood (Yuppeee). It even optimizes the nervous system functionality which includes eye and brain functions. Seriously, there is more to say but I think I’ve persuaded you to add it to your diet pretty much straight away??
Let me tell you a bit, maybe I’ll resume to less (if I can though as I am really excited to tell you all about those awesome ingredients packed with real nutritional goodness?!! ) about the Baobab powder. I love this! We start eating this handsome tree’s fruit that comes all the way from Africa.
The amazing baobab powder is low in sugar and fat yet high in fibre and it is packed with antioxidants, it is rich in vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium-containing more than 12 minerals and vitamins. It helps us maintain a healthy digestive tract and it keeps us fuller for longer. It’s all fantastic stuff! I ould go on and on about all the other ingredients but all in all, you have guessed it, it is a real blissful bust for our body.
If you like these power snack squares, you may also like these:
- Dates, grapes and goats cheese super balls snack
- Gluten-free date and walnut snack
- Pecan cookies with rye and barley flakes
I will get on with getting you this wonderful recipe revealed so, here we go.
Enjoy it and please feel free to add new adventurous ingredients and let me know what did you come up with. I would be really interested to hear more.
Sugar free power snack squares
- glass bowl
- parchment paper
- 12 tbsp oats (organic) jumbo rolled
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (organic)
- 2 tbsp goji berries (organic)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (organic)
- 1 tsp baobab powder (organic)
- 1 tsp camu camu powder (organic)
- 1 tsp maca powder (organic)
- 2 tbsp coconut (organic) desiccated
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp nuts (organic, chopped) hazelnuts, cashew nuts, almonds, walnuts
- 2 tbsp honey (organic)
- 50 g dark chocolate (organic) 70%
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (organic) extra virgin
- 1-2 tbsp peanut butter
- In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients ( oats, Chia seeds, Goji berries, Cocoa powder, Baobab , Camu Camu and the Maca powder, the desiccated Coconut, Poppy seeds, Sea Salt and the mixed nuts chopped).
- Place a glass bowl over a pot with boiling water where all the remainder ingredients have been put in ( the honey, dark chocolate, coconut oil and the peanut butter). Stir well until they homogenized well.
- Pour the liquid ingredients as soon as they have melted over the dry ingredients and mix together well.
- Place the mix over a parchment paper and spread it into a layer of around 1 cm thick.
- Put in the fridge for 1 hour then take out and cut into squares.