I get very excited when I’m doing this date and walnut snack, but my kiddos….are even more excited! They love those as an after-school snack (a really healthy option) packed with nutritious goodness, a real treat that can be prepared in literally as quick as 10 minutes. How can I not get excited?!
They make such a superb snack, just grab a few for work, at school, for a picnic, for travelling time, you name it.
Just make them, I’m sure you’ll take them along everywhere you go.
If they last, ? they can last for many days in the fridge; I like them from fridge because they are nice and hard ?. If you decide to keep them outside, they won’t last long (they will just get eaten in minutes ? ?).
Dates…. we all know how yummy they are and for me dates are my sugar substitute whenever possible for many years now.
This snack contains vitamins (A, K) and minerals as dates are such fantastic source of iron, phosphorus, calcium, sodium, potassium, magnesium and zinc, making them truly beneficial for our bones, our digestive track, our vision and our big hearts ?❤️ …. and these were only few nutritional facts about the dates that I was talking about but if we are to go to the walnuts, these are also so great and truly fantastic for us since they are so rich in polyunsaturated and omega-3 fats, packed with rare and really powerful antioxidants.
I know that a fistful of nuts a day keeps the doctor far away!! ?????
I love nuts in general but what I like mostly about them is the fact that they really improve the skin, hair and nails and apparently they are slowing the ageing process due to their high content of antioxidants. What I conclude from this is that nuts increase the life span?? I wasn’t quite sure why I don’t age any longer …. ???
But seriously now, are you eating sufficient nuts?! I know I’ve got you thinking now! ?
Okay, I have said enough and I am now sure you will make those balls that will give you that instant boost of energy which we all need around 4 p.m., don’t we?
Well, I do, and I do it badly and generally I snack on rubbish if I don’t have something quality like this.
Here is the recipe and I promise this time I will go on with the recipe and nothing else?
Gluten-free date and walnut snack
- 400 g Medjoul dates ***
- 100 g walnuts (organic)
- 45 g coconut (organic) dessicated
- 40 g chia seeds (organic)
- 1 pinch himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (organic)
- 1 tbsp carob powder
- 2 grinds black pepper (optional)
- Shell the walnuts if you have to.
- Take the stones of the dates and place them in a food processor.
- Place the walnuts in a pan on low heat and roast for few minutes, don't go too far from them as they burn quickly due to the high oil content.
- Give it a good old whizz in the processor. Add the remainder of the ingredients.
- Mix most of the desiccated coconut but keep some for later to roll on the outside.
- Take out of the food processor and make into small (1.5 cm) balls. Use the remainder of the coconut flakes to roll some of the balls or all of them.
- Keep outside or inside the fridge.