Hot days ask for something nice, cool and refreshing and if it's healthy too, it's a real bonus. Isn't it some ice cream bars you were thinking of? Yes, not one but two or three because it is hard to stop at one bar.
Yoghurt ice cream bars?
Oh yeass!! These yoghurt, flaxseeds and chocolate ice cream bars are so easy to make and can actually be made with whatever yoghurt you might have in the fridge including any flavoured or natural yoghurt, lower or full-fat one which you can mix with your favourite jams or honey.
I love this because it is such a quick fix for a hot summer day. It is also fun for kids as it is something they can easily get involved in making and helping with and then it is the looks which is it the looks of regular ice cream but certainly very appealing especially to the younger ones as we, the mature ones, we can be happy with almost anything... errr, ya, ok?
My kids are beginning to show real interest into cooking lately, wanting more and more to get their little hands dirty and this kind of recipe is a perfect start.
Also, this type of desserts are perfect for the fussier kids, an ideal one for 'hiding' certain ingredients like flaxseeds, some fruits so the 'little chipmunks' can have something extra without too much fuss.
I have opted for a slightly healthier option but of course, you can add a lot of other ingredients and make it to your liking.
Other dessert recipes you may like and want to try:
- Almond, poppy seeds and blueberries cake
- Mascarpone tiramisu dessert
- Mini Pancakes Cereal
- Easy Chia Seed Pudding Recipe
- Cinnamon roll apple pie
Here's the recipe for these ice cream bars and rest assured they're ready even before you have started Quick, quick!
Yoghurt, flaxseeds and chocolate ice cream bars
- 400 g coconut yogurt (14.2 oz /1.6 cups) (full fat, organic)
- 200 g blueberries ( 7 oz) (frozen, any type)
- 2-3 tbsp raspberries jam (optional)
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 150 g white chocolate ( 5.3 oz) (melted)
- 4 squares dark chocolate (grated, for decoration)
- Prepare a tray (20 x 30 cm or any size you have) that can fit into your freezer. Line with parchment paper and set aside. You may need two dishes if your freezer is a small one.
- In a bowl pour in the coconut yoghurt and mix all the remaining ingredients. Firstly, add the white melted chocolate and homogenize these two as well as you can. Add the lemon/lime juice, flaxseeds, the jam if you wish to add and the frozen berries right at the end. Keep the berries in the freezer right up until using them.
- Mix everything nicely and put the mixture in the tray. Spread around in a thickness of the berries size so it comes pretty natural.
- Grate the chocolate over and place in the freezer for an hour or longer.
- Cut into deserved size squares and serve as it is or with a nice warm homemade cake (see recipe notes for ideas).