Hot days ask for something nice, cool and refreshing and if it’s healthy too, it’s a real bonus. Isn’t it an ice cream you were thinking of?
Well, I’m sure it is!
These yogurt, flaxseeds and chocolate ice cream bars are so easy to make and can actually be made with whatever yoghurt you might have in the fridge including a natural yoghurt which you can mix with your favourite jams or honey.
I love this because it is such a quick fix for a hot summer day. It is also fun for kids as it is something they can easily get involved in making and helping with and then it is the looks which is it the looks of a regular ice cream but certainly very appealing especially to the young ones as we, the mature ones, we can be happy with almost anything ?
My kids are beginning to show a real interest into cooking lately, wanting more and more to get their little hands dirty and this kind of recipe is a perfect start.
Also, this type of deserts are perfect for the fussier kids, an ideal one for ‘hiding’ certain ingredients ? so the ‘little chipmunks’ can have something extra without too much fuss.
I have opted for a slightly healthier option but of course you can add a lot of other ingredients and make it to your liking.
Here’s the recipe and be sure that, before you even start, it will be all done. ?? ??
Yogurt, flaxseeds and chocolate ice cream bars
- 400 g coconut yogurt (full fat, organic)
- 200 g blueberries (frozen, any type)
- 2-3 tbsp raspberries jam (optional)
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 150 g white chocolate (melted)
- 4 squares dark chocolate (grated, for decoration)
- Prepare a tray (20x30 cm or any size) that can fit into your freezer. Line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl pour in the coconut yoghurt and mix all the remaining ingredients. Firstly, add the white melted chocolate and homogenize as well as you can then add the lemon/lime juice, flaxseeds, the jam if you wish to add and the frozen berries right at the end.
- Mix everything nicely and put mixture in the tray. Spread around in a thickness of the berries size so it comes pretty natural.
- Grate the chocolate over and place in the freezer for an hour.
- Cut into deserved size squares and serve as it is or along a nice warm homemade cake (see recipe notes for ideas).
There are quite a few extra ingredients that could be added to this recipe or you could simply play with mix and match if you'd like.
I sometimes add rum and raisins, mint essence, dry goji berries, chopped and toasted walnuts, honey, lime, any type of frozen berries and the list can go on and on.
This homemade ice cream can make a superb accompaniment to a beautiful homemade cake such as a peach and ground almond gluten free cake or if you can bear a little more coconut you could go for this blissfully yummy pineapple, berries & coconut cake.