I love coconut as well as chicken! Whether is in sweets or savoury cooking coconut has that unique flavour, exotic and very healthy according to new studies.
This spicy coconut chicken is very nice served hot or cold so it doesn't matter if you decide to have a garden party or to go out for a picnic or simply cook it for dinner and then have some next day for lunch at work, this could be a perfect choice.
A nice salad or some rice to accompany will work a treat. It is pointless for me to say too much about this dish at this point as very soon you will get to know it and won’t need much presentation. Its versatility and exotic looks as well as the taste will say it all.
Here is the recipe folks!
Bon appétit! Poftă bună! Hyvää ruokahalua! Пријатно! Guten Appetit! உங்கள் உணவை உண்டு!
Apetito hueso! Aprecie a sua refeição! Smaklig måltid! Smacznego! ისიამოვნეთ თქვენი კვება!
Yummy spicy coconut chicken
- ovenproof dish
- 12 chicken drumsticks 8 thighs, or 4 breasts
- 200 ml coconut milk (6.76 floz) (tinned)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (fresh, grated)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (fresh, ground)
- 1 tablespoon red chilli flakes optional
- 4-5 spring onions
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 medium lime or lemon only the juice
- 1/2 stick lemongrass bruised and chopped (optional) *
- Preheat the oven 20 minutes before the chicken needs to go in.
- Wash well the chicken (bone on/de-bone if you wish depending on the meat you have chosen to cook or you can leave both skin and bone on ( I normally remove the skin)- it is entirely up to you. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on it and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the coconut milk with all the other ingredients (ginger, pepper, salt, turmeric powder, chilli flakes, lemon/lime juice and the finely chopped spring onions - you can leave a few for decorating.
- Mix the chicken with the coconut milk marinade, make sure it is all nicely coated, cover with clingfilm and put in the fridge for 1-2 hours (not an issue if you do not have the time to allow it to marinade- it will be as tasty and yummy).
- Place in an oven tray that should not be larger than fitting all the chicken in nicely, cover with a lid or foil and put in a preheated oven at 190-200ºC. (370-390F) Cook for a good 40-45 minutes. Halfway through cooking take the tray/dish out of the oven, remove the foil, turn each piece of chicken and place (uncovered) back in the oven. Cook for a further 20-25 minutes all depending on the meat chunks size.