It is an easy one to admit- I love weekend mornings, time (whenever possible) to have a nice relaxed breakfast at whatever time you fancy, even an early lunch if deciding to get really lazy, in other words, a superb brunch.
Like almost always, I was in favor of something savory rather than sweet, something that I thought we will all enjoy so, I opened my fridge and gave it a little browse around. I had some fresh broccoli, red pepper, some organic gammon that I knew of somewhere in the freezer, so I dug up and came out with few ingredients. Nothing too fancy but rather simple, nutritious and thoroughly enjoyable.
I love eggs….
I can eat eggs everyday, I am sure many people share this unless of course alergic or intollerant but otherwise they are such a lovely ingredient! If you liked this recipe I am sure you may like this delicious quiche with a twist or this halloumi and asparagus quiche in filo base.
This is an easy breakfast so can be made any time during the week, while you dress up for work, breakfast is baking! Give it a try and you might even make it a good habit of having a nice high in protein breakfast which is just the right start for any day.
Here is this quick omelette recipe, let’s get it all started.
Baked broccoli, cheese and pepper omelette
- 150 g gammon (or bacon)
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 120 g broccoli (made into small florets)
- 150 g cheese grated (mozzarella or chedar)
- 50 ml milk
- 3 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 chili (optional) red or green
- 1/2 pepper (red)
- springs parsley (a few)
- Preheat the oven at 180 C.
- In a bowl break the eggs and beat for 30 seconds, add the egg whites, half of the grated cheese, milk, creme fraiche, salt (remember gammon adds salt to it), pepper and chili if you opt to put in.
- Place a pan over medium heat and shallow fry the gammon/bacon for 3 min.* (see recipe notes) Add the peppers and the broccoli. Cook for further 2 min.
- Add the omelette to the gammon and get the cooking of the omelette started. Cook for 3 min stirring occasionally. When it is half cooked transfer into the baking dish(es) sprinkle the remaining grated cheese. Bake for 8-10 min. **
- Take out and serve. Enjoy it!