Bacon wrapped asparagus and egg! Doesn’t this sound perfect to you as for me it is one of the best combinations ever.
Asparagus it’s now in full season and as always, I do advocate for eating seasonal when the ingredients are at their best.
Seasonal produce does give us the best of benefits in so many ways:
- it goes quite a way easier on our pockets/wallets
- it is most likely pretty locally produced hence it helps our little local hard-working farmer for whom I have a lot of respect
- very importantly, it has the most flavour as well as health benefits.
As far as the bacon and the eggs are concerned, these are definitely always in season and I do love and have both all year round.
This bacon wrapped asparagus dish is so easy to prepare, it is pretty elegant to have and serve, and you only need three ingredients, combo that will absolutely overwhelm anyone's taste palette and buds with its very tasty simplicity.
It inundates my mouth as I describe this right now although I’ve only had it a couple of days back. And if you would like more breakfast ideas containing eggs, here are some more. Try this waffle and quail eggs one or this beautiful shakshuka or this eggs and bacon cupcakes. All delicious breakfasts and many more to choose from.
How to cook bacon wrapped asparagus
Asparagus cooks very quickly so in order to avoid overcooking it I do suggest that you wrap it with pretty thinly cut rashers of bacon. If your bacon isn’t the thinnest one available just use little strips.
Don't worry if your bacon has got some fat as long as it's not too much of it. Another tip for this recipe would be to buy the asparagus that has got chunkier stalks.
* The best way to trim the woody bit at the bottom of the asparagus stem is to simply snap it as this will snap exactly where it should.
* to boil the eggs to perfection for this asparagus dish all you need is the eggs and some boiling water in a pan over medium heat. Depending on how you would like your egg(s) to come out boil them between 4-12 minutes. For this dish, I recommend to boil them for 4-5 minutes.
* Obviously if you do not want or like your eggs boiled, cook them the way you prefer those which would be either whole pan-fried eggs, scrambled with a tiny little butter or cream, or a nice omelette in which you could wrap the bacon-wrapped asparagus in - hmm - will make like a nice savoury pancake-style dish - yum, yum ?.
* The reason I do not put this asparagus into a preheated oven is that I want the bacon to hold its shape and therefore the heat should increasingly go up rather than this shrinking immediately in a very hot oven.
This method also helps with preventing the asparagus from overcooking, drying or even burning. It is a very simple recipe I know and quite a few notes only because asparagus it’s such a delicate and delicious little darling.
Easy, simple and pure deliciousness?
Let's get on with a little bit of wrapping then!
Egg and bacon wrapped asparagus breakfast
- 4 eggs (soft boiled) * see recipe notes
- 20 stalks of asparagus
- 10 rashers bacon
- Line an oven dish or tray with baking paper. I used a Silpat mat.
- Wash the asparagus and lightly pat dry. Trim of the woody bits at the end of the stem (approx 2-3 cm) * (see recipe notes).
- Cut your bacon rashes into 2-3 strips lengthways.
- Wrap the bacon strips around the asparagus stems and place on the prepared oven tray/dish.
- Place the oven tray in the middle of the oven and turn the heat on set to 190 C *(see recipe notes). Bake until the bacon is nice and crisp, I would say for about 15 to a maximum of 20 minutes.