Finding a good and pretty healthy dessert to snack on whenever you fancy something sweet could be challenging. I will reassure you that these flaxseed, cacao and pecan nuts cookies will now be a regular dessert or snack for you.
We absolutely love them and (you won’t believe this) last time I prepared and took these cookies to a party, kids made them varnish in minutes. All eaten up to the very last dub. I was very pleased as I though only my kids preferred them.
Most children do seem to prefer sweets and snacks ready made to the home cooked ones nowadays, market stuff which we all know they are full of bad things like saturated fat, refined sugars and salt which ultimately makes those really unhealthy despite being labelled as healthy.
Healthy homemade cookies
In my understanding, the trick with staying healthy is to really try and home-prepare most of what we eat, rather than rushing into a local shop/supermarket and buying ready-made foods which contain tonnes of additives.
Preparing these flaxseed, cacao and pecan nuts cookies involves, at most, 15-20 minutes of preparation (including of digging in cupboards to find all the ingredients) and just 10 minutes of cooking. Yes, it is not a typo mistake, only 10 minutes!
These cookies tick all the boxes and truly present all the ‘features’ you’re looking for:
- tasty, delicious, healthy dessert
- vegan (swap some ingredients)
Let’s just go for it, shall we?!
Flaxseed, cacao and pecan nuts cookies
- 50 g coconut oil
- 35 g flax seeds
- 3 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 120 g chocolate (dark) (dairy-free optional)
- 45 g cacao powder
- 40-60 g coconut sugar
- 250 g almond flour
- 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 g himalayan salt
- 70 g chocolate (melted) for decoration
- 80 g pecan nuts (chopped, roasted)
- Melt the chocolate together with the coconut oil either in the microwave for 30 sec (if you have one) or the simple technique of placing it in a bowl over boiling water. Allow to cool for few minutes.
- Add the flaxseeds, water, the coconut sugar, chia seeds if you choose to put them in (those in the picture do contain it), almond flour, cacao powder, salt. Make a tiny well and put in the baking powder and the soda bicarbonate pour the vinegar over and mix well. Then mix all the ingredients and place the mixture in the freezer for 10 min or in the fridge for about 20 min.
- Heat the oven at 180 C or gas mark 4.
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper.
- With the help of a teaspoon take a teaspoon full of the mixture place it on to your palm and roll into small balls. Finish the rolling and press to flatten slightly the dough.
- Place on parchment paper leaving some space of about 1.5 cm in between.
- Place in the heated oven and bake for 8 min. Remove when ready and allow them to cool for few minutes.
- Meanwhile roast and finely chop the pecan nuts. Melt the 60 g chocolate which can be milk, dairy free dark or even white chocolate.
- Roll the cookies edges into chocolate and then into the finely chopped pecans.
- Enjoy pretty much straight away. Store in the fridge if summer so that the chocolate does not melt.