I love salads! It’s a declaration clearly! I love salads for very simple reasons, once, they’re quick to put together, secondly, they’re so, so simple and easy to prepare and thirdly they are a healthy option that could even help us keep track of our weight – if we want or need to of course ??
We truthfully can never go wrong with a good old salad, can we?! Of course, it depends on what you put in but, salads in general, are a nice, light and delicious option for any time in the day, even breakfast if you fancy, don’t see why not.
This particular salad I like it loads because it is pretty refreshing and the coconut gives it that little exotic twist.
Today I came from work and I was thinking what could I put on the table for a quick dinner that will be nutritiously pretty balanced and that I could just make it in a quick time sequence. I came up with this salad which I have made a good few times before (few hundreds times ?, oh yes, I am exaggerating but tens of times I’m definitely not) except the coconut. I’m really lucky that my family puts up with all my cooking and not only that but they have told me that they love the variety of stuff that I come up with and the fact that they never know what will be for dinner is exciting!
It’s exciting for my family but it’s superlative exciting for me.
I will get to telling you this simple recipe now.
Let me tell you all about it then! ? ?
Kidney beans, avocado and coconut salad
For the salad:
- 2 cans kidney beans (red)
- 1 can sweet corn (organic)
- 1 handful coconut (fresh, diced)
- 2 cans tuna (in brine)
- 2 avocados
- 1 1/2 peppers (red)
- 1/2 peppers (green)
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 onion (red)
- 1 knob coconut (fresh, grated) for garnishing
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- chili (red) to taste (optional)
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (finely grated) (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp mustard
- 1/2 lemon or lime juice (optional)
- Dice all diceable ingredients, coconut, red and green pepper, celery, red onion and place in a larger bowl.
- Open the tuna cans, beans and corn.
- Drain and wash the beans and add to the diced veggies.
- Add the drained tuna and the corn.
- In a jar, mix all dressing ingredients, place lid on and give it your best shake ever.
- Drizzle the dressing, serve and enjoy!
Feel free to leave the coconut out if you don’t like it and add a good dash of freshly minced garlic.
There are quite a few ingredients that could be added to this and replaced with whatever you guys love that you can combine to your total liking:
- cherry tomatoes
- parsley or any preferred fresh herb (I normally add a bit of parsley, but in this recipe I didn't only because of the coconut - I don't want to get the coconut flavour wasted)
The dressing/vinaigrette can also be kept pretty plain with a simple lemon drizzle. Key lime.... even better with that coconut .... yummmmm
Deliciosso! ? ?