This mung beans & rice pudding recipe is one of the regular ‘order’ that we get from our children to make it in the morning for breakfast for them.
They are absolutely in love with this and so we are the parents. Again, for me it’s one of those childhood breakfasts, the rice and the milk as the mung beans and the coconut it’s a childhood touch that’s coming from husband so this breakfast is a multicultural one if I could say. ??
I am a huge bean lover in general but those little and cute mung beans are somehow so pleasantly different and have their own little ‘personality’ as I would say about foods that please my taste buds like this ??
Above all this taste and appearance, they are apparently really good and healthy too. As all the beans they are low GI (glycemic index) releasing the sugar very slowly.
They are a pack full of vitamins A, B (1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 9), C and K and minerals like magnesium, zinc, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, iron and manganese to enumerate a few of them.
I promise I will put more of my mung beans recipe up on the blog, sweet and savory.
It will be one regular in your house too. I bet! ??%
Rice and mung beans pudding
- 300 g rice pudding
- 100 g mung beans
- 500 ml milk or 400ml coconut milk & 100ml water
- 3-4 coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 tsp himalayan salt (pink)
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut (optional)***
- 150 g blueberries (or any other fruits)
- 1 fistful goji berries (dried)
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (or any nuts to sprinkle on top)
- Because I cook the rice straight with he milk I always soak it for at least 5-6 hours together with them Mung beans. I usually do it over night.
- Place the rice and the beans together with the milk in a pan over medium heat. When it starts boiling put the heat on lowest and stay alert as the milk may just go out of the pan especially the cows milk. Add the sugar and salt and cook for 15-20 min stirring in occasionally.
- Serve on a plate with a sprinkle of fresh berries, another one of nuts and or desiccated coconut or fresh coconut shavings. Whatever you have and like will be perfect.