This roasted veggies & feta couscous is one of those superb and quick lunches or dinner meals that doesn’t require much thinking.
You must know that feeling when you just want to come up with something healthy (pretty uncomplicated, yet sophisticated and good looking too) to put on the table in front of your family or friends.
Last time I have made this it was a few days ago when we have had a pretty unexpected guests visit who did announce their visit when they were on the way ;-). Of course, I had to make something quick to put on the table within one hour or so which sometimes can prove a bit tough, idea wise. It had to be vegetarian too. I had other things cooked but everything contained meat, so it was no good! I told you it doesn't take much thinking to come up with this 😉
I will have to say that we begin to develop more and more love for vegetarian dishes, it is amazing what you can do and involve no meat at all, which before for me was not really an option. I still love my meat but Have cut it down considerably.
As part of trying to be and stay as healthy as we can, we have started eating three times a week vegetarian dishes only which I really feel great about; feeling great especially that I have managed to convert my ‘meatatarian' husband into eating vegetarian meals, wow!! Only a few months ago if I was mentioning this might happen his face was dropping instantaneously but it is no longer the case ;-)) all happy faces around the house now. Yoopee!
Especially in the summer when there is so much availability and everything is fresh and in season it would be such a shame not to eat a lot more vegetarian dishes.
Here are some more dishes you may like :
- Watermelon and feta salad
- Healthy Chicken breast recipe with giant couscous, pesto sauce and radicchio
- Organic red quinoa with beets, olives, red onion and feta salad
- Herby barley couscous with chipotle halloumi and grilled apricots
- Vegetarian pesto courgette n’ carrot noodles with feta cheese and olives
But here is one that tastes and looks absolutely great and can be prepared in a flash.
Roast veggies and feta whole meal couscous
- 200 g couscous (wholemeal)
- 120 g feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 2 onions (red)
- 1 pepper (red)
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds (slightly roasted)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- coriander or parsley to garnish
- pepper or some chilli flakes
- Wash and peel all the vegetables (carrots butternut squash and red onions).
- In a pan slightly roast the sunflower seeds. Stay put as they burn very quickly so literally toss them around a heated pan for one minute and they are done!
- Cut all veggies into chunks, place in an oven tray, sprinkle some salt pepper, olive oil dry or fresh herbs and put in the oven. Bake at 200° for 40 minutes or so depending on how are you want the vegetables to look. The red onion I normally cut slices and bake separately, I drizzle a little bit of olive oil over so it does caramelize a little. Keep an eye on the onion if you decide to make it separately as it cooks faster than the rest of the vegetables. If you don’t want them caramelised, mix them with the rest of the veggies and bake together.
- Meanwhile, cook the couscous according to pack instructions but I normally mix the couscous with a pinch of salt and pepper, sometimes 1 tsp of Italian herbs and pour boiling water over about 2 cm above the couscous level and cover immediately with a lid or a plate. I will allow it rest for 20 minutes or so without touching or uncovering it.
- Mix the roasted veggies with the fluffy couscous, season with a pinch of more coarse sea salt, chop some coriander or parsley, scatter the scrambled feta cheese and the roasted sunflower seeds all over it and will be all ready to be served and fully enjoyed.
- Sprinkle some coarse chopped coriander or parsley over.