Why is this a feta cheesecake?
I call this turmeric feta cheesecake "savoury" because it hardly contains any sugar. Very little and we love it this way. You will see what I mean if you try it.
I still call it cake because it does contain some sugar. It may be a pie, a pasta dish whatever you wish but it's delish. The beauty of this it's that you can make it as sweet as you like!! So it can be made as a sweet cake.
Feel very free with adding as much as you like and personalize it to your very own taste. It is so good either way.
I use the ready-made Fillo pastry as it is so easy nowadays to get it and it is a pretty good one. You can make your own if you fancy, of course, nothing like it but I find it a lot easier to just use ready-made since it is a laborious job to make a homemade Fillo pastry - you need a lot of space in your kitchen and a lot of skill.
Here are some more recipes you may enjoy :
- Halloumi and asparagus quiche in filo base
- Giant potato and cauliflower filo samosa
- Feta and ricotta cheese with spinach and dill filo wraps
Turmeric savoury feta cheesecake
- ovenproof dish
- glass bowl
- Whisker or an electric hand mixer
- 400 g Fillo pastry (14.11 oz) (ready made)
- 800 g yoghurt (28.22 oz) (organic, full fat)
- 600 g feta cheese (21.16 oz) (organic)
- 7 large eggs (organic)
- 4 tablespoons cane sugar (organic)
- 1/3 teaspoons turmeric powder (organic)
- 50 g butter (1.76 oz)
- 20 g icing sugar (0.71 oz) (optional)
- If the Feta cheese is pretty salty, submerge the cheese blocks into a container/large bowl filled with cold water. Leave it for at least 1 hour to desalt.
- Preheat the oven at 180C/350F a little higher if not fan assisted.
- In a large bowl, with the help of a fork smash the desalted Feta cheese blocks, add 4 eggs, and mix well with half of the yoghurt quantity (400 g), add the turmeric. Turmeric is not only healthy but it gives it a beautiful colour too!
- Grease a dish (28 cm/ 20cm roughly) with some of the butter.
- Place a layer of pastry containing 3-4 sheets together and then put a layer of the cheese mixture. Repeat this until you finish both mixture and pastry. Best to finish the top layer with pastry. Since the pastry sheets are not going to be the size of the dish, there is no need to cut them but just fold them in.
- In the same bowl where the cheese mixture was you can pour the other remainder 400 g yoghurt with the rest of the eggs ( x 3) and whisk well until it is all very well incorporated.
- Pour this yoghurt and egg mixture over the last layer of pastry. Scatter the remainder of the butter on top (little knobs) sprinkle a spoon of Demerara sugar on top and place in the oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until it is nice' n golden brown on top.