This winter beef casserole or stew is such a soul-hugger! A proper winter warmer that anyone would look forward to coming home to!
For me, my stomach is never large enough for this.
I like it simple, healthy and it is so yummy with no frying at all. I gave up frying years and years ago as I really think it is such an unhealthy habit as well very unnecessary.
* mixed lentils can be found in a pack that contains a blend of lentils used for soups or winter stews. They normally contain pearl barley, red split lentils, green and yellow split peas, brown rice, haricot beans, marrowfat peas. These make such a difference to this dish!
** Moroccan spices can be replaced with any spices that you like most or just happen to have. 2-3 springs of thyme and 2 bay leaves are also a fab option.
*** Whenever I cook meat, I never add any oils but feel free to if you wish to.
More recipes you might like :
- Smoked pork joint, sausages and butter beans stew
- Winter warming chicken soup
- 13 winter warming and comforting soup recipes ready in less than one hour
Let me know how you found this dish, did you like it as much as we do?
Winter beef casserole
- chopping board
- 1 kg beef cubed
- 1 l water
- 4 medium carrots
- 1/2 large celeriac
- 2 parsnips
- 2 small peppers (red or green)
- 1/2 medium butternut squash
- 1/2 swede
- 3-4 sticks celery
- 1/2 leek
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 150 g lentils (mixed) *
- 1 tbsp himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3/4 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Moroccan spices **
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tomatoes (canned), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 chili (red), optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil optional ***
- Dice the meat into preferred size and put into the cooking pot. Add 1 l of water add some salt and put on high heat.
- When the water begins to boil remove the foam that forms on top of the meat. Add the finely chopped onion. Cook this covered with a lid for about 10 min on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, chop all vegetables into chunks and add to the meat. Add all the remaining ingredients (the veggies, the mixed lentils along with the paste and chopped tomatoes, the garlic and the turmeric powder, paprika and the spices). Cook (covered) for another 40 min on medium heat.
- Remove the lid and cook for another 10 min.
- Serve while hot and optionally sprinkle some chillies over and fully savour it.