This awesome crisp and so fresh raw broccoli salad is definitely a favourite here and amongst everyone that I know has had it. Always a hit wherever I have taken it (work, events, parties, potluck parties, picnics). It is one of those dishes that it's super easy and quick to prepare, can be made in advance and there is no cooking involved. It is absolutely delicious too which is a real bonus ;-).
How to make a broccoli salad?
It is definitely one of the easiest dishes to put together, you need no special skills to just gather all you need, the broccoli, bacon, reasons, the sunflower or pumpkin seeds, red onion. A little bit of chopping, a bit of mixing and maybe some singing and there you have it!
There is no cooking involved and providing that you have all ingredients handy, this will be on the table in a flash.
What ingredients do I need for broccoli salad?
- broccoli (organic)
- red onions
- sunflower seeds raw
- bacon (crispy)
- creme fraiche
- a bit of mayonnaise
- salad cream
- cider vinegar
- agave syrup or honey, or sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
It is a perfect choice as a side dish and a brilliant idea for any party.
I have to say that I make this very, very often for us to share along with other dishes and mainly meat that is grilled or barbequed. My kids absolutely love it and so we are, the older munchers. Give it a try and you will see entirely what I mean.
Here are some more salad recipes you will enjoy:
- Watermelon and feta salad
- Haricot beans salad with yacon and sweet Marmande tomatoes
- Shredded roast chicken with pesto, crudités bits and orzo summer salad
- Brussels sprouts, cranberries and bacon salad
- Skinny tuna salad
Chop, chop, Done!!
Fresh broccoli salad
- chopping board
- glass bowl
- wooden spoon
- 2 heads broccoli (organic)
- 2 small red onions
- 70 g sunflower seeds (2.47 oz) raw
- 50 g raisins (1.76 oz)
- 80 g bacon (2.82 oz) (crispy) slightly crushed/chopped
- 250 g creme fraiche (8.45 floz)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons salad cream
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup or honey, or 1 tsp sugar
- salt for additional flavour
- 1 pinch pepper (freshly ground)
- Wash the broccoli, shake well to get rid of any water. Prepare a bowl and cut broccoli into small florets.
- Chop the onions finely and add to a bowl together with the bacon all broken/chopped into small pieces, the sunflower seeds and the raisins.
- In a separate smaller bowl, put the creme fraîche, vinegar, salt, pepper, agave syrup/honey/sugar, mayonnaise and the salad creme. Mix all to incorporate and pour over the broccoli.
- Mix everything together very well and serve. It is best to make this slightly in advance so that the broccoli gets in all those lovely flavours. It lasts for 2-3 days in the fridge.