Tuna Salad! Frankly, I dislike totally naming my food ‘skinny' simply because life is to enjoy and food should be a slice of that enjoyment. 💃
But I have two reasons for calling this a skinny tuna salad, firstly, because it is indeed a salad that would look after your figure. Secondly, I could do with a couple of pounds off especially now when summer is around the corner and I need to get in the summer clothes. Hmmm Yes, not only getting into clothes but looking all right (ish) as well.😃
This tuna salad is truly delicious and I can say that I actually could live in salads of this kind every day. The issue is that there is so much more food out there that I simply can't ignore unfortunately.
I ❤️ food way too much and I'm definitely not one of those that eat to live but on the contrary, I'm pretty much the type of those that live to eat. 🤗 A bit sad 😭 I know. But, hey, nothing wrong with loving food, correct?! I suppose this is the reason why I still need to shift a few pounds every now and again 😂.
Don't really care really, that can be done and food enjoyed at the same time.
Yeah, right! I'm just going to get on with this recipe then. You will undoubtedly love it. Why, well… no cooking is involved, it's high in protein, it's colourful, it's refreshing and super healthy. All the reasons on earth to love it, and above all reasons, it's so, so quick to prepare.
Here is the recipe, you beautiful reader! 👌👇
Chop, chop, chop ….DONE! ✅
Skinny tuna salad
For the tuna salad:
- 1/2 red cabbage (organic)
- 1 can sweet corn (small can, organic)
- 2 cans tuna (in water or brine)
- 1 red pepper (organic)
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 can red kidney beans (organic)
- 1 green pepper
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 pinch black pepper (generous pinch, freshly ground)
- 1 handful stuffed olives (green pitted/stuffed olives, optional)
- 4-5 springs parsley (small springs, chopped)
For the salad vinnaigrette:
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon (squeezed)
- 4 Pitta bread (optional)
1. Peel, wash and prepare all ingredients.
2. Chop, shred or dice all according to how you wish the salad to look.
3. In a larger bowl, throw in the canned tuna and with a fork just break the fish chunks into smaller pieces.
4. Add the chopped veggies to the tuna and mix well. Sprinkle the salt and the pepper and mix again.
5. In a little bowl mix all vinaigrette ingredients, the 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, 1 tbsp olive oil and the lemon juice from 1/2 lemon. Give these a nice energetic whisk and set aside.
6. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and mix well until all veggies are nicely coated.
I did mention 4-5 springs of parsley but you can according to how much you like parsley. You can replace this with some dill or any other fresh herb that you may like. Be adventurous, like I always say. 😊
The mayonnaise of course you could use a light one but I personally never do that. It is very little of it so go for the real stuff. Even a home-made one if you happen to have some. Beautiful 👌
I sometimes add 1-2 tbsp Greek yoghurt to the vinaigrette, it is delish too so if you fancy doing this, go for it.
There are other ingredients that could be added to this salad such as grated, shaved or a julienned carrot, spring onion, a fennel finely diced, tomatoes and cucumber (removing seeds and the juicy section) diced or grated kohlrabi, radish and so on.
The list can continue but I leave it now to your imagination. Increase the amount of vinaigrette if you like more of it by adding a tbsp of cider vinegar and slightly more oil or mayo. Make it your own according to what and how much you like.
Throw this super healthy salad into pitta bread pockets and have it as an absolutely yummy sandwich which you could take to work, a picnic or just have it at the comfort of your home while working or watching something nice on TV. So nice and totally mess free. Enjoy this yumm tuna salad or check other super salads here: Red Cabbage Salad or the Broccoli Sprouts Salad