Tuna Salad! Frankly, I dislike totally naming my food ‘skinny’ simply because life is to enjoy and food should be a slice of that enjoyment.
Why is this a skinny tuna salad?
But I have two reasons for calling this a skinny tuna salad, firstly, because it is indeed a salad that would look after your figure. Secondly, I need to put myself in that mode, the skinny mode which I need to switch on to from time to time. I can always do with shifting a couple of pounds off especially now when summer is around the corner and I need to get in the summer clothes. Hmmm, yes, not only getting into that nice summer clothes but also looking all right (ish) too.
This tuna salad is truly delicious and I can say that I actually could live on salads like this. The only trouble is that there is so much more food out there that I simply can’t ignore, unfortunately. I am a foodie and I know it.
I ❤️ food way too much and I’m definitely not one of those that eat to live but on the contrary, I’m pretty much the type of those that live to eat. But, hey, nothing wrong with loving food, correct?! I suppose this is the reason why I still need to shift a few pounds every now and again ?. It’s fun.
I cannot say I don’t care really, because I do. I do care to eat healthily and to look after myself first because I am an example to my children. That can be done and food enjoyed at the same time.
Yeah, right! I’m just going to get on with this recipe then. You will undoubtedly love it. Why, well… no cooking is involved, it’s high in protein, it’s colourful, it’s refreshing and super healthy. All the reasons on earth to love it, and above all reasons, it’s so, so quick to prepare.
what veg to add to tuna salad?
The mayonnaise, of course, you could use a light one but I personally never do that. It is very little of it so go for the real stuff. Even a home-made one if you happen to have some. Beautiful!
I sometimes add 1-2 tbsp Greek yoghurt to the vinaigrette, it is delish too so if you fancy doing this, go for it.
There are other ingredients that could be added to this salad such as grated, shaved or a julienned carrot, spring onion, fennel finely diced, tomatoes and cucumber (removing seeds and the juicy section) diced or grated kohlrabi, radish and so on.
The list can continue but I leave it now to your imagination. Increase the amount of vinaigrette if you like more of it by adding a tbsp of cider vinegar and slightly more oil or mayo. Make it your own according to what you like.
Throw this super healthy salad into pitta bread pockets and have it as an absolutely yummy sandwich which you could take to work, a picnic or just have it at the comfort of your home while working or watching something nice on TV. So nice and totally mess-free.
- You can replace this vinaigrette with a tablespoon or two of hummus. Quick and easy.
- Feel free to replace the tuna with any other fish whether that is canned fish or freshly baked one, leftover, it will be as delicious. I used many times canned wild salmon. Oh, soo good!
Here is the recipe, you lovely healthy food lover 😉 !
Chop, chop..and ….DONE! ✅
Skinny tuna salad
For the tuna salad:
- 1/2 red cabbage (organic)
- 1 can sweet corn (small can, organic)
- 2 cans tuna (in water or brine)
- 1 red pepper (organic)
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 can red kidney beans (organic)
- 1 green pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or chillis optional
- 1 pinch black pepper (generous pinch, freshly ground)
- 1 handful stuffed olives (green pitted/stuffed olives, optional)
- 4-5 sprigs parsley (small springs, chopped)
For the salad vinnaigrette:
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise (optional) homemade it's the best one
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon (squeezed)
- Pitta bread optional to serve with
- Peel, wash and prepare all ingredients.
- Chop, shred or dice all according to how you wish the salad to look.
- In a larger bowl, throw in the canned tuna and with a fork just break the fish chunks into smaller pieces.
- Add the chopped veggies to the tuna and mix well. Sprinkle the salt and the pepper and mix again.
- In a little bowl mix all vinaigrette ingredients, the 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, 1 tbsp olive oil and the lemon juice from 1/2 lemon. Give these a nice energetic whisk and set aside.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and mix well until all veggies are nicely coated.