We love cauliflower and baked it's probably the best choice when it comes to cooking cauliflower. It contains cheese yet the calories are low. This cauliflower bake with gnocchi and mozzarella cheese makes a delicious family meal with plenty of fantastic nutrition and flavours. Get the kids to gobble some veggies, they will just love this dish! It almost tastes like pizza.
There is something quite special about this gnocchi and mozzarella bake already and that gets topped by the baked cauliflower. Mmmm, a delicious combination indeed! All in all a great family gnocchi dish, easy to put together. Just set it up and then let the oven do the rest of the work!
Make a cauliflower bake with gnocchi
It is definitely a healthy dish, a dish that kids would want to tuck in, as generally kids love gnocchi and the cauliflower can easily be camouflaged in this dish amongst the gnocchi and covered by the yummy mozzarella cheese which means kids may just forget about getting too picky.
Is cauliflower bake with gnocchi healthy?
Yes, definitely! The reason behind this is very simple. It is a healthier choice because I have used vegetables that are less starchy which are naturally lower in carbs but often higher in fibre, which will help you stay fuller longer.
Other ingredients used in this delicious cauliflower bake are peppers, spring greens like collard, and garlic, tomato sauce with whole tiny tomatoes, spring onions, hard mozzarella cheese, dried Italian herbs and of course the amazing gnocchi which we absolutely adore.
Any dish that contains wholesomeness is a healthy dish. I am tired of all these fad diets that say don't eat this, don't eat the other, ultimately, a diet that is sustainable and becomes a way of eating and living it's the real thing. How long can you live with no carbs? How long can you live on a high protein diet without damaging your life? Well, go this mediterranean way of eating which contains real delicious ingredients, wholesomeness all the way and total deliciousness.
To me, The Mediterranean way of eating as I should not call it a diet is how I grew up, the way I ate pretty much all my life. It is all about eating real ingredients, freshly picked, seasonal food, the real thing. Eat everything whole, no processed food, no refined sugars, all-natural stuff and ingredients and you will be a healthy human being.
Ditch the takeaways as much a possible, ditch the sugary treats (unless you make your own and know EXACTLY what went in) and adopt a clean way of eating. Cook yourself, get adventurous in the kitchen, do not be afraid of failing. Who really cares if the dish looks like a treat or not, you know it is a treat because you know exactly what it contains.
So simple, right? Yo-yo diets are truly detrimental to us. I have tried a couple, not more, oh, you know, pregnancies, babies, it all helped for short time. Diets are always for quick fixes but life it's about good food and health it's more valuable and important than trendy diets that can put our health at risk.
More about this cauliflower bake
It is quick, it is healthy and it definitely makes a perfect family meal whether that's a lunch or a dinner or a work packed lunch. Perfect for a picnic or a potluck too. Hopefully, we will be allowed garden parties soon too! Oh, I do miss a party and gathering with friends and family.
This cauliflower bake with gnocchi and mozzarella cheese will be started on a stove and finished in the oven although that is not a must. It can be made thoroughly on the stove or entirely in the oven too.
It is best to cook it in a dish that gets easily transferred into the oven after the initial stove cooking stage, ideally a skillet.
How to make gnocchi? Well, it is a lot easier than you can imagine - here's a gnocchi recipe that will tell you exactly how I make them. Not a biggie at all!
No, absolutely not. You really do not want to overcook your cauliflower. The oven heat makes the cauliflower perfectly tender and gorgeously brown and caramelised,
Roasted cauliflower it’s really so tasty, you almost forget you’re eating a vegetable. All you need is a touch of oil, salt and pepper to turn ordinary cauliflower into something exceptionally good on its own but the combination in this dish takes the cauliflower to a whole new level with a pizza-like taste. Absolutely delicious.
If you like this cauliflower bake you may also like these cauliflower dishes, oh yess!
- Creamy cauliflower with pork medallions turmeric and mushrooms
- Low carb prawn, chorizo and cauliflower couscous
- Seriously good chunky roasted cauliflower with capers and raisins dressing
- Giant potato cauliflower filo samosa
- Curried orzo, ground beef turmeric and sweet sprouting cauliflower
- Cauliflower aubergine and chickpeas salad
Cauliflower Bake with Gnocchi and Mozzarella
- chopping board
- 1 small cauliflower head and leaves
- 350 g gnocchi (12.4 oz)
- 3 small onions I used 1 shallot 1 red and 1 brown
- 5 tbsp tomato sauce
- 140 g mozzarella cheese (5oz) I used a hard one
- 2 peppers I used red and yellow
- 3 cloves garlic
- 200 g spring greens (7oz) collard or kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp spring onion /scallions or fresh herbs to garnish
- Start with some prepping. Wash the cauliflower and break into little florets. Wash the peppers and cut these into strips. Peel and wash the onions. Set aside
- Preheat the oven at 190°C/375°F if fan assisted or 200°C /400°F if not.
- Place the skillet on medium fire with one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the roughly chopped onions and the crushed and chopped garlic. Add the gnocchi and cook for 3 minutes stirring occasionally until the onion has become translucent and the gnocchi become slightly golden brown.
- Add the cauliflower florets and the strips of pepper. Cook for extra 2-3 minutes tossing or stirring occasionally.
- Add the 5 generous tablespoons of tomato sauce mixed with the Italian herbs scattered around without stirring or mixing the tomato sauce in. Leave this as dollops or little peaks scattered around the dish.
- Place a few cubes or a generous pinch of grated mozzarella over each tomato sauce peak. I have used cubed hard mozzarella but a grated one will work as beautifully.
- Place in the oven and bake at 190°C/375°F for 15-20min or until you are happy with the colours and how the cheese has melted/browned. Serve while nice and hot.
I've never had cauliflower this way but it's brilliant! I love the flavors of the gnocchi brings and how everything melts together!
Thanks Jamie 😉
Heidy M says
After reading your blog post about Cauliflower baked with gnocchi and mozzarella and the recipe ingredients listed, I am putting this on my MUST make immediately list. The recipe sounds fantastic and seems like it will go over exceptionally well with the hubby and children. Have a great week!
Thank you so much dear Heidy, I am sure you will love this cauliflower bake and gnocchi recipe - it is just wonderful! Have a great week ahead too!
My family loved this. It's so simple and perfect for a weeknight meal. I'll be making this again, thank you!
The cauliflower was such a great touch! We love gnocchi and mozzarella and the added veggies was a great addition. Great recipe.
We love cauliflower, what a delicious way to cook it. Plus I love the combination of flavors. Must try.
Mama Maggie's Kitchen says
I am definitely craving right now! This Cauliflower Bake with Gnocchi and Mozzarella looks absolutely satisfying!
Ben M says
There is a lot of flavor and texture going on in this delicious dish and I am so glad I found it. It tastes great and is easy enough to make. Even if you make your own gnocchi, it is an easy enough recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Man does this look good! Love cauliflower and I'll def be giving this a try!
This is fantastic. SO delicious and easy to make. Great way to use up cauliflower. I can't wait to make this. Thanks for the recipe!
Thank you dear Natalie
I really enjoy cauliflower. There are so many things you can do with it. It is great in this healthy, delicious dinner recipe.
Andréa Janssen says
We loved this recipe! A panful of our favorite ingredients. And the mozzarella and cauliflower was such a great combination!
Lizet Bowen says
We eat a lot of gnocchi but haven't tried them with cauliflower. It's such a great idea! and all that cheese 😍
Thank you Lizet. I hope you will soon, it's a nice combo 😉 oh yeass, all that mozzarella cheese adds to this dish a beautiful flavour and makes it taste almost like a pizza 😉