Ever wonder how to make chicken kebabs? It's not as hard as you may think! You can get creative with the ingredients and especially with the spices, or just stick to a classic combination. Let me tell you and show you all about it.
Now with the BBQ season getting in full swing, a dish like this is simply heavenly. So easy to prepare and the results are A-MA-ZING! These chicken kebabs are marinated in a tangy mixture of lemon, yogurt, spices, and garlic and are such a huge crowd-pleaser.
This particular chicken kebab recipe is so easy and loved by my family and my kids, in particular, they always crave it and if I am honest, I do too! I do like using organic chicken which I think is the best to get for dishes like this. The chicken marinade that you were looking for for a very long time!
Oh, these chicken dishes! Cannot get any better. Who said chicken is boring??!! Never! Just try this easy chicken kebab recipe and you will see what I mean. Dinner or lunch, next day lunch whether that's a school or a work packed lunch, just go for it, it is a perfect choice!
Tips for the best chicken thigh kebabs
- use chicken thighs - they are a lot more delicious and do not get dry
- marinade a lot earlier for the best results (best ever, healthy and easiest dinner meal)
- do not forget to squeeze some lemon juice to make it super tender
Marinade variations to use for chicken kebabs
Here are some ideas for a fantastic marinade for chicken thighs:
- Indian spices (make a chicken tikka)
- chili sauce ( use lime and sriracha)
- spring onions or scallions (paste with a mortar and pestle)
- olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice - simple but with gorgeous flavors
- lemongrass, garlic, and teriyaki sauce ( amazing!)
- chicken satay (coconut milk, soy sauce, yellow curry, turmeric powder, garlic, ginger, honey)
I could list so many things and dishes here that you could enjoy with this beautiful and super tasty chicken dish and here are a few ideas:
• Coconut, fried or Moroccan Style or this Truffle and Lentil Rice
• Cucumber Yogurt Dip
• Corn on the Cob - grilled, BBQ-ed, or baked
• Green Salad
• Potato Salad
• Sweet Potatoes that are simply grilled or baked
• Tomato, cucumbe, and Feta Cheese Salad
• Horseradish and Roasted Beetroot Relish or try this pineapple and mango salsa, soo perfect and refreshing with any barbeque!
• It does not take long at all, it will take approximately 10-15 minutes. Be sure that all the sides of kebabs touch the grill - this will not only ensure doneness but also gives the chicken a nice-looking crisp exterior.
• As a general rule, most kebabs will need approximately 10-12 minutes to cook, which means anything between 2.5 to 3 minutes on each side, depending of course on the fire and how big or small the meat chunks are.
Other BBQ-worthy recipes you may love:
- Exotic barbequed prawns
- Delicious lamb burger
- Healthy potato salad - a great side dish to these chicken kebabs
- Oh, this fish made on the grill - to die for!
- More BBQ dinners on the grill - mmm! Absolutely delish from Delish
Easy BBQ Chicken Kebabs
- glass bowl
- chopping board
- BBQ or grill
- 600 g chicken thighs (2.5 cups) cut into chunks (chicken breast works as well)
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
For The Marinade
- 100 g yogurt (3.5 oz)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- ⅓ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch chilli powder optional
- 1 teaspoon lemon and lime zest
- 1 teaspoon ginger freshly grated
To Make The Marinade
- Mix all marinade ingredients (yogurt, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, grated ginger, grated garlic, chili powder, or flakes if you choose to use them) into a larger glass bowl. Mix well.
- Cut the meat into chunks. I always debone the thighs first and then cut them into 3 to 5 pieces depending on the size of the thigh. Add to the marinade.
- Mix the meat pieces really well and coat them with the marinade sauce.
- Place a cling film over the bowl and place this in the fridge or in a cool place. Allow to marinate for at least 20-30 minutes - the longer the better.
- Heat up a grill or prepare the BBQ. Meanwhile, thread all meat chunks onto the metallic skewers. Do not push them into one another too closely. Allow them to have a little space so they can cook nicely without drying out.
- Turn every 3-4 minutes on a different side so that they cook beautifully on all sides.
- Serve with any salad or a nice couscous and vegetables like the one in this recipe which was simply made by mixing separately cooked couscous with roasted mixed vegetables to which I have added some spices like cajun, turmeric, and a little curry powder seasoned with salt and pepper.