Breakfast winners! That's what these scrumptious waffles are. They won 99.99% of the time when coming as a choice for breakfast or dessert but especially for a weekend breakfast. Oh yes!
Those waffles are yummy, they are crisp on the outside and puffy and feathery on the inside. Really light and served with a dollop of ice cream and some chocolate sauce it's all you really want and need.
This recipe has been trialled and tried again, ingredients were added, some removed and ultimately was mastered. This is the end result. It’s a recipe that I have made and changed few times and have come to this which to me it is the perfect result. Make it and you will see what I mean.
classic waffles vs Belgian waffles
There are some differences between the two:
- are made using baking powder;
- they have shallower grid patterns;
- are a little denser compared to the Belgian waffles;
- are thicker and have a richer texture than regular waffles;
- are traditionally made with yeast;
- they are often larger and have deeper grid patterns and are often round in shape;
- fluffy and airy inside and crispy on the outside
Waffles topping options
I don't wanna tell you about occasional little waffle kitchen failures which with trial sometimes happens too but we don't really mind or even notice. They are still edible, that's why!
to which you could add other bits like nuts, seeds, mushed apples, blueberries or whatever fruits you fancy, either added in or left out to drizzle as a sauce when you eat them.
Amazing stuff anything you may choose.
The basic recipe of a nice waffle is this very recipe here and trust me it’s going to suffice and it will be saved forever and ever. Please do let me know if you do/add anything different that may improve the recipe. I'd be very happy to hear from you the reader and maker of this lovely waffles recipe.
Other amazing breakfast or dessert recipes you may like:
- Apple and cranberry super breakfast
- Dutch baby pancakes
- Quick weekend organic apple pancakes
- Cinnamon roll apple pie
- Apple and walnut pizza
Here’s the recipe for these scrumptious beauties, let's get waffling!!
Totally scrumptious waffles
- 380 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp soda bicarbonate
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
- 35 g cane sugar *
- 2 large eggs (separated)
- 110 ml oil or butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 200 ml yogurt (full fat) or buttermilk
- 3 tbsp milk (I used condensed coconut milk)
- 1 handful pecan nuts (chopped and toasted)
- 8 scoops ice cream or more *
- 4 tbsp chocolate sauce (I used Hershey's)
- Chop and toast the pecan nuts.
- Sift all dry ingredients in a large bowl but keep one pinch of salt to beat with egg whites.
- Separate the eggs and mix the yolks with the yogurt, oil, vanilla and the condensed milk and stir to mix slightly.
- In a separate bowl place the egg whites with a pinch of salt and beat until nice and stiff.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg yolks mixture. Whisk a little to homogenize it and then fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Have the waffle maker ready and hot. Place one or two large tablespoons of batter and toast until nice and brown.
- Serve hot with a generous drizzle of chocolate sauce or with a dollop of ice cream and a sprinkle of toasted pecan nuts. Divine!