What is great about this chickpeas quick snack?
I’m sure this happens to you too sometimes, coming back home hungry like a wolfie not knowing what to tuck in?!
Well, it certainly happens to me on a regular basis especially around 4 pm when I need to beat that sugar craving. Truthfully this chickpeas quick snack is such a saviour for me helping me big time avoid digging deep in the sweets jar and smashing a good few chocs or kit-kat bars.
I do have an issue, a real issue with the sugar cravings that kick in around 4 pm.
I do make sure to always have a few chickpeas cans around and never run out of that just for snacks like this. A handful of these chickpeas quick snack it’s a very quick, yummy and healthy fix.
A few days back I came home, I was so hungry that I could eat a horse. I totally resisted going anywhere near the sweets tin by going in a totally opposite direction grabbing a can of organic chickpeas and had this ready in a flash. Thoroughly enjoyed it though. Then and every time I make this, such a great snack! Ready in just under 20 min, how great!!
How to make this chickpeas quick snack?
Variations and alternatives
- Chickpeas make such a healthy, fibre, protein, zink packed snack and when it comes to spices, feel adventurous with adding some curry powder, paprika, cumin or simple salt, garlic fresh or powder, anything you like, there are many possibilities and combos that you could try.
- I do add bacon sometimes or chorizo chopped into small cubes and fried together with the onions. So yummy!
Can I make this ahead?
Yes, absolutely! You can make a little more and store it in the fridge. It lasts up to a week.
Other chickpea recipes you may like
Chickpeas quick snack with turmeric, red onion and red chilli
- chopping board
- 400 g cooked chickpeas
- 1 small red onion
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- 1 pinch Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp mixed seeds cumin, fenugreek and mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 lemon just the juice
- Chop the onion and place in a pan with the olive oil over medium fire. Add the seeds, salt and cook for 5 min or so until the onions are nice and soft.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and the turmeric and continue cooking for another 3-4 mins stirring or tossing regularly.
- Add the chilli flakes and toss for a further minute.
- Squeeze a dash of lemon and serve. Ta da!!