This squid curry with turmeric rice is delicious, delicious, delicious!
I go crazy on curries and I haven’t managed to post many curry recipes simply because I’m overwhelmed with so many recipes that I love and I’m struggling with which one to put first along with the lack of time but I really need to get going on many, many curry recipes as I have had quite a few demands recently so….., they are coming folks! I promise! Slowly but very surely☺️
I cook curries quite often and this is because I find them absolutely delicious and totally irresistible.
I particularly like seafood curry with prawns 🍤, fish 🐟 or squid 🐙 you name it; and then it comes the lamb. Lamb is soooo amaziiingggg!! A lamb curry recipe is well overdue so there will be one coming up very, very soon. And that’s a promise.
I like squid for various reasons, mainly because it’s squid 😜🐙 but I particularly love its texture. All in all I’m a true seafood lover and I could have seafood for breakfast, lunch and dinner, oh yessss, I can easily eat squid 3 times a day… I just need to think of some sweet squid recipe, something like a brown sugar caramelized squid and I’m done ✅ with a seafood desert too and only then I’ll be a happy bunny 😂
This recipe is so easy to prepare and ahhh, curries (in general, I believe) are truly and utterly healthy and super delicious.
The ingredients used are purely amazing, with super health benefits. What I find fascinating is the benefits of those seeds that Asians use for thousands of years. Cumin, fennel, coriander, turmeric, tamarind are all such amazing ingredients that you just want to cook with over and over again and never get enough of.
Ok let’s just get cooking!
Squid curry with turmeric rice
For the curry:
- 800 g squid tubes (cleaned)
- 5-6 shallots (sliced julienne)
- 1 tbsp fish curry powder
- 1/2 tbsp hor curry powder (or more, for extra spiciness)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp seeds (mixed: cummin, fennel)
- 1/3 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp ginger (fresh, grated)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 5-6 leaves curry (fresh)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (freshly grounded)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 green chili
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 lemon (the juice)
- springs chives (or coriander) to sprinkle over
For the rice:
- 350 g rice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 25 g butter (or ghee)
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. Add the turmeric and the butter right at the beginning of cooking.
- Wash and chop the squid. Set aside for 5-10 min to make sure the water drains completely then cut them as you wish into chunks or rings. For some reason in a curry I like squid cut into pieces/chunks rather than rings. Sprinkle some salt, pepper and all the powders (chilli, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, half of the garlic), mix well until all nicely coated and set aside for few minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a deeper pan over medium heat, add the coconut oil and the chopped shallots with the chopped green chilli, the curry leaves 🍃 and the seeds. Cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle some coconut milk if it begins to sizzle. (This is because I don't like frying, but you could caramelize the shallots if you like.)
- Add half of the grated ginger (if you like and choose to use - I love ginger in almost everything so I put a little here too 😉) and half of the grated or finely chopped garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring a couple of times. Oh..., the smell!! Bring it on!
- Immediately after, put in the the tomato paste, the marinated squid, coconut milk and cook for about 10 minutes, covered.
- Turn the heat off and it's ready!
- Serve the freshly cooked side dish and sprinkle some coriander or freshly chopped chives over with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
I also serve this with a naan or home made flat bread.