I think you must have gathered by now that I do enjoy anything that has got apple in, in this case, an appetizing apple and cranberry breakfast, oh, and the smell when baking this…. will definitely make your day if not week. ?
If you ask me, there are two types of breakfast.
There is the weekend breakfast which is super great and mainly the one that we have and take some time to prepare, well, if lucky of course and …..
… there is the antagonistic version of that lazy, laid back breakfast, the painful one when we hardly find any time to prepare a proper breakfast mainly during week time and not only, since I find myself more and more that many weekends nowadays are falling into the same sort of rush, rush, rush pattern.
In my household at the weekends we occasionally take it easy or pretty lazy (whenever possible) having a really late breakfast which often turns into a branch or an early lunch. That’s what weekends are supposed to be IF we can afford or enjoy the luxury of an easy and laid back one. It is a rear occurence though.
Not all weekends offer us a lot of time especially for those parents like ourselves with young children when even weekend free-time it’s an utter luxury. I’m not complaining here by the way, I’m just saying – you probably know all about the taxi driving that we do all the time, right? ?
This fuss-free breakfast recipe with apples, oats and cranberries is super quick, it is very yummy and it looks pretty complicated but in reality it is the easiest thing to prep. I’m calling it a breakfast but realistically could easily be a healthy dessert if you wanted it to be or a snack that requires no prior preps but literally just mixing all those ingredients up and the result is this very simple yet sophisticated looking one.
This apple dessert/breakfast or snack, whatever you want to call it, is super nutritious but also super healthy and quick to get ready for your loved ones including yourself in no time. It bakes whlile you are getting ready for the day or work, so let the oven do the work for you. ?
I make it for breakfast mainly because I want to come out of that routine that I easily fall into of eating cereals for breakfast or some unhealthy snack at work. It’s better to go for something home prepared, as healthy as this, for a snack in the afternoon than a market ‘healthy’ bar (don’t get me wrong, -we all know that many of these so-called ‘healthy’ snacks are still packed with either fat, salt and/or sugar).
This is great for diversity and can easily be made in the skillet if you happen to have one; I just love skillets, they’re totally fuss free, but don’t worry if no skillet is available, any oven proof dish will do.
I won’t go any further on this because I find there is no need for too many words and intro when it comes to fruit treats so, here you have this super quick recipe. ? ?
Apple and cranberry super breakfast
- 3 large apples (organic)
- 100 g cranberries (dried)
- 5 eggs (organic)
- 150 g oats (organic, rolled type)
- 5-7 tbsp cane sugar
- 3 tbsp goji berries
- 6 tbsp yoghurt
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 knob butter (to grease the dish)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 50 g walnut (toasted and chopped)
- 1 tsp rum essence (optional)
- 2 tbsp coconut (optional, desiccated)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp almond essence (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 180C and grease an approximately 10 inch skillet or any oven proof dish.
- Peel and core the apples, wash and chop into small cubes.
- Add the sugar and the cinnamon and set aside.
- To the chopped apples add the cranberries, eggs slightly beaten, the rolled oats, the Goji berries, salt, yoghurt and the sunflower seeds.
- Mix all pretty energetic until it gets all very well mixed.
- Place the mixture into the prepared tray and bake for around 40 minutes at 180 C.
- Sprinkle with the chopped walnuts or mix those into the actual mixture before baking.