If you like fish, I’m sure you would enjoy a nice fish pie from time to time as much as we do….. I don’t see why not, it is light, it is healthy and truly yummy.
I am sure everyone goes through some time crisis sometimes and whenever this happens so I don’t have that extra 30-40 minutes plus warming up time for baking or it is too hot outside to fancy puting an oven on or simply too tired for any fancy lengthy cooking.
I came up with this simpler idea of a one pot pie where the potatoes get incorporated, no baking, no mashing to do, ending up and enjoying a beautiful, flavoursome and so darn hassle, crust n’ mash free yet so tasty pie. Pheww, I run out of breath saying this and you probably too reading it ;-))
For this very reason I call it open fish pie because obviously doesn’t have that mashed potato ‘roof’ and doesn’t need to go in the oven but only if you really insist n’ have that extra cooking time and you really fancy that, then ? of course, if you want the trouble, I can’t stop you, can I ? ;-))
It is a great idea of incorporating or even hiding some spring, summer or autumn greens like kale, chard into our diet as the creaminess of this pie will mask those away and will goes down very well specially with the little fussy munchers. They will ask for more!! You try.
This can be a real winner all year round, whether is winter, spring, summer or autumn this dish can make a perfect dinner, lunch or a party. It’s versatile and you can use whatever veggies are in season or you may like or have handy really.
Enjoy this superb and trully delicious fish pie folks!
Open fish pie with coconut twist
- 500 g fish (mixed: white fish, salmon, smoked haddock) cubed
- 1 onion (organic)
- 1 leek (organic)
- 1/2 courgette (organic) chopped
- 1 handful kale (organic)(optional) finely or roughly chopped
- 2 medium potatoes (organic) or large
- 1 small sweet potato (organic)
- 150 g green beans
- 2 small carrots (organic)
- 2 stalks celery
- 200 ml coconut milk or milk
- 100 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche full fat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil or 1 tsp butter
- pepper (ground)
- 1/6 tsp nutmeg (grated)
- thyme a few springs, fresh
- parsley or chives (or both) to decorate
- Put some water in a pot and boil the potatoes for five minutes, just to get them started. Not the sweet potatoes though. Leave aside until ready to use them.
- In a separate pot maybe a deeper frying pan put the oil, the chopped onions and leek and sweat for 5 min or so. Add the green beans, the chopped carrots, the courgettes, celery stalks and the sweet potato chopped into small cubes, the kale and cook for 8-10 min on a medium heat stirring occasionally. Season well with salt,pepper and herbs of your choice, liking and availability.
- Drain the potatoes of the water and add to the pie along with the fish cubes.
- Add the coconut or the cow milk and cook for a good 8-10 min stirring a few times.
- Add the double cream the nutmeg and cook on a really low heat for 5 min.
- Serve hot and sprinkle some fresh herbs.